Key Largo Operator with Longer than 60 Minute Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheFife

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am interested in taking a mid to late May trip to Key Largo. While looking for a suitable dive op, I have noticed many operators like RainbowReef explicitly state that dives are limited to 1 hour (and that is back on the boat!). Given the number of shallow reefs and nitrox, I cannot imagine that this is anything other than a way to shorten the operators work schedule and get the boat back in time for afternoon trips. After taking time off work, spending hundreds of dollars on a flight, and hundreds more on a place to stay, the last thing I want to do is be forced to get back on the boat when I have a good half hour of NDC time left.

Can anyone suggest a dive operator that actually lets you use your air and computer limits? I am after your typical 2 tank boat trips. If there are multiple options, I am looking for somewhere with the shortest boat rides (I am occasionally prone to sea sickness), and an operator that works well for the solo traveller. I am not overly concerned with cost. My time is more valuable than the minor cost differences between dive operators.

Most I know hold to a schedule similar to what you observed with RR: maybe you can try Quiescence.... they run six pack boats and are a little more flexible on dive sites and might be more flexible on time too.

If your not concerned about price, your time is so valuable and you want extended dive time...Just rent yourself a boat and do want you want.

Dive ops are in it to make a living taking a group of people and normally do a morning group and a afternoon group. They are not there to cater to one person unless you are willing to rent the boat and crew for the day.

Given the number of shallow reefs and nitrox, I cannot imagine that this is anything other than a way to shorten the operators work schedule and get the boat back in time for afternoon trips.

I cannot provide you any useful advice regarding Key Largo dive ops. Perhaps @The Chairman will stop by this thread as he would be in a position to know.

I will say however that there is much to be said for the longer, more leisurely dive. A typical dive for me is 75 minutes, which is what I can get for a fairly active freshwater shore dive in around 20' with a single 120. I am recently back from Cozumel where I also was able to enjoy a longer afternoon dive. Most of my dives are freshwater dives and involve swimming some distance to reach the most scenic part of the dive so the boat diving model of the 55 minute dive does not apply.

Best wishes, and let us know what you find.

If I go to Key Largo in those shallow reefs and want a day of diving, I will do a two tank dive in the morning and a two tank dive in the afternoon. I usualoly find 4 hours underwater to be all I really want.

I've not had much trouble getting 65/70 minute reef bimbles in the Keys. My wife and I are ready to dive when we reach the site. We're the first off and last back on. Don't drag it out and pi$$ off the crew. Just pay attention and when the next to last diver(s) (you being last) heads up, be ready to scamper out. A lot of folks like to chit chat and lollygag getting off the boat. More power to them if that's how they enjoy their trips. The longer they dawdle, the longer my dives.:)

From my experience the 1 hour limit is pretty standard for Key Largo. However, many of the shops do routinely offer double dips on the deeper wrecks. Recreational divers usually do two dives to NDL limits with a surface interval, and if you have some basic technical certs you can pretty easily pull 90-100 minute dives with a sub 15 minute deco obligation.

As far as boat rides go, it really just depends on the sites. Silent World and Horizon are closer to Elbow Reef and the Christ statue, most of the other ops are closer to Molasses, French, and Pickle Reef. If you go in the summer the seas tend to be very calm and the boat drives are in the 20-30 minute range on average.​

How many in your party. Bluewater divers, if they are still there will go out with 2 divers. I would guess that if you chartered the boat, told them you wanted a longer dive, and they were not booked in the afternoon they would accomodate.

Dive boats are a business. Doing long dives means they may be only able to make one run instead of two and that costs them money. You should be willing to pay for more if you want more.

Everybody else is there spending their hard-earned vacation time as well. That's why schedules are necessary - to accommodate everyone.

If you want more dive time, you can book more dive trips - easily 4 or 5 dives per day. If you want a personalized trip, bring a few buddies and charter the boat. Otherwise, enjoy your hour-long dives and realize that the schedules are there for a reason. Those who wish to enjoy 4 dives in a day need time to get back and grab a bite to eat before the afternoon boats depart again.

When we dove with our buddy @reefman on his personal boat in Key Largo, our first dive was 103 minutes and our second dive was 93 minutes...I quit before the end of that one because I was tired. While we had an absolute blast, that's just not realistic on a commercial dive boat. While we thoroughly enjoyed our outing with @reefman , most of our dives in Key Largo are done with a dive op, and that op is always Rainbow Reef Dive Center. After 13 years, we haven't been disappointed yet.

I like @AdivingBel 's suggestion best of all, and it's our method as well. Sit at the back of the boat, be prepared, and when they declare the pool open...have at it. When it's time to board the boat again at the end of the dive, fall in at the end of the line and enjoy your time investigating while you wait for the others to surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom