Key Largo, Water Temp Thanksgiving, Silent Wolrd.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAGELLAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've planned a trip to Key Largo over the Thanksgiving Holidays. I was wondering what kind of protection to use. Will it be warm enough to enjoy? I've also made arrangements to stay at the Hungry Pelican, looks like a cheap place, which is fine with me, I'm not going for the 'accomadations'. Also, does anyone have any opinions about Silet World. They have some really good prices, small boats etc. I also looked into Oceandivers/Marnia Del mar, but I was hoping to ake this kind of a cheap dive vacations and save my money for Cozumel. Which brings up another question, travel suggestions. I plan on flying into Miami from Houston, rent a car for the week. Just wondering if anyone knows of getting cheaper flights to Miami, Ft.Lauderdale. etc. Thanks :)

Can't speak to Thanksgiving weather, but I've used Silent World and liked them. They were friendly and pretty much left us alone. Folks on the boat who needed help had to step up to get it, though.

Stayed at Marina Del Mar. Very nice since I had a non-diving spouse. She was happy, so I was happy.

Stayed at Seafarer before. I was happy, but she wasn't. Guess who's attitude changed?

Have a good trip.

Thanks, :)

What kind of schedule did they have at Silent World? Would you have been able to choose different locations. I'm little concerned about being forced into going to the same few places over and over throughout the week. I was curious too about the average depth of your dives. From what I've seen on the internet, the sites all seem to be medium to shallow 30-50 ft.

Hi there,

as for temps in Key largo- it really depends what you are used to and what your tolerance is. I went last year near thanksgiving and dove using a skin. I was perfectly comfortable and did not wear my jumpsuit, but that was the shallower dives. (most were 45-35ft range)

If you have a thin jumpsuit, then you would not be out of place. On an average boat at that time of the year you will find divers in nothing (well not literally-but just swimsuits), skins, shorties and 3mil jumpsuits. Basically compare to what your tolerance levels are. If luggage space is not an issue, take the warmest you have- you can never have too much protection. As far as being warm enough to enjoy- definately. I dive key largo in nov every year and it's great- topside is not too hot, and less afternoon thunderstorms to worry about.

Oh and remember if you intend to go deep-the speigal or any of the other wrecks, then the water is considerably colder.

The hungry pelican is nice enough- very "keys" environment.

enjoy

Silent World was pretty good about locations. They seemed to know what was good and what wasn't. Rarely had another boat in the neighborhood.

We dove different spots each day. We had the same crew and they made sure we got some variety.

I had my kiddo out for his first ocean diving, so I was pretty conservative with him. We were in the 30 to 50 ft range most of the time. I think we went below 50 at Carysfort Reef one day, but if we did it wasn't by much.

Went diving with Silent World and would use them again.

It was early December of last year and water temp was 75 degrees F. Had a 3 mil suit which was fine. Vis was about 50 feet. The deepest dive was 70 feet and then the Spiegl Grove wreck at 60 feet. There are a couple of other wrecks at 90 and 100 feet. I think if they have enough people to make the longer trips worthwhile there are enough sites around to keep it interesting. They were only running morning dives when I was there due to it being the slow season. They have a website which might have a bit more info if you haven't already seen it.

MAGELLAN once bubbled...
Thanks, :)

What kind of schedule did they have at Silent World? Would you have been able to choose different locations. I'm little concerned about being forced into going to the same few places over and over throughout the week. I was curious too about the average depth of your dives. From what I've seen on the internet, the sites all seem to be medium to shallow 30-50 ft.

Just a little side note: Coming from Houston, how is that Texas Coast diving anyway?

I never hear anything, but maybe with good reason..?

Have a condo rented a MM90 on the north end of Islamorada and have made plans to dive with Ocean Quest Dive Center at MM85.5. Seeing that I have more than a week to kill, I'm going to do my AOW cert with them. Certified as a NAUI Scuba Diver in 1978, and never got any other certs... seemed like a good time to do it. I understand from talking to 'The Dive Goddess' that a 3 mil suit is usually enough that time of the year. I have a 3 mil shorty that I'll take along, and may rent a full suit if it seems too cold for multiple dives.

Have a good time!

Sounds like you have a good plan. The people at Silent World are great people and run a good operation. Haven't stayed at the Hungry Pelican, but it looks clean enough. Good news is that you will be almost next door to one of the best eating places in the Keys......Mrs Macs. They have a wonderful breakfast and lunch menu. Of course, you can't come to the Keys without going to Hobo's for supper.

To be on the safe side, I would bring along a 3mm full suit with a hood or a beanie. Water temps can be in the low 70's this time of year. Better to be safe than sorry.

Have a great time, dive safely

Sounds good!
I had some reservations about Silent world, because of the good pricing, I'm wondering if Thanksgiving week would be considered a "slow season"? If so, I suppose I should try another local shop, sounds like there's plenty around. And eating out, well that's always fun it's good to know we won't have to drive or walk to far to get some food. Thanks,

As far as Gulf diving goes. I haven't done any yet, for a reason. My wife and I have less than 20 dives and the Flower Gardens, and Stetson banks are about 100' dives, which we qualify to do, but... Your 100 miles off shore and there's currents to worry about too. The other alternatives are rig diving but... there's currents there too, and fishing line to worry about. Also, you have to take a pretty good boat ride out to these places, so it's at the very least a whole day affair, not for the seasick prone. We'll probably go eventually, I just want to feel very comfortable with deep water diving before we do. You can find several internet sites about the Flower Gardens if your interested, and I know a lot of people who have gone and enjoyed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom