Key West Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotdiver

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going down for a quick weekend with non-divers. I want to sneak off for a two tanker one morning.

I will probably have to dive in Key West...no, I can't drive up to Looe (no car). I've never actually done any diving in Key West. Any suggestions on ops or sites. Or, would my time be better spent topside and forget the Key West diving.

I guess what I'm saying is, I haven't really heard great things about the diving there. I have dived the rest of the Keys and love it. Hopefully, I'm wrong about the KW diving.

I was there a few weeks ago. I went with captains corner. I really enjoyed it. We did two 30ft reef dives because we had snorkelers with us. They can schedule deeper dives too. Visibility was great. Crew was great.

I was there in June 2005, and really enjoyed the diving. Shown below is a portion of my trip report that's at my web page:

"(Key West, FL, June 7 - 8, 2005) These dives were made with Dive Key West (800.426.0707). I was very satisfied with the diving and their service in general, and plan to do more business with Dive Key West in the future.

Concerning the actual dives, I hardly know where to begin. This was my first time diving in salt water, and it was quite an experience. I made 1 wreck dive (Joe's Tug) and 5 reef dives. The reef dives were made at Western Sambo, Middle Sambo, 10 Fathom Ledge, 9 Foot Stake and Number 1 Reef. Viz ranged from 30 - 40 ft., except at Joe's Tug where it was about 60 ft.

The maxiumum depths ranged from 18 ft. at one of the reefs to 66 ft. at Joe's Tug. The lengths of the dives ranged from 25.5 minutes to 60.5 minutes. The water temp was about 84 degrees. The wreck dive had the most azure and spectacular blue water that I've ever seen. While making my descent on the mooring line, a group of large barracuda swam by me.

When all the diving was done, I'd seen one 5 ft. shark, a sea turtle, several small moray eels, a scorpion fish, a few large lobsters, many barracuda and more species of tropical fish than I could keep track of."

Don't forget the sunscreen!

Lost Reef is my favorite. I have dove with them several times over the years. Nice boat, never crowded, friendly staff and the price was typically the lowest!

I worked for a dive op in Key West a while back; so I cannot recommend an operator. Due to the fact that I would be biased. As for the diving... There are 2 deeper dives the charters can take you on. They are Joe's Tug 60 ft and The Cayman about 90 ft. The rest of the dives are fairly shallow in the 30 ft range. Visibility depends on the recent weather which can change quickly this time of year. Expect to see nurse sharks, spiny lobster, barracuda, trumpet fish, and others. Around this time last year I did a dive and saw a bunch of Tarpon fish, and that was cool. When they pass through they are only around for a short while.
If you are looking to get wet and swim through some coral in shallow waters while looking at some fish, then go for it. If you want deep wrecks...Then further North along the keys is a better choice. I hope that helps.
I'm jealous I have not been in warm water for a while, lol.
Duval St topside can be a fun place too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom