Key West -- First Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funland111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Heading to Key West next month and would like a recommendation concerning which operator to use. Both divers in my group are experienced but have never dove in Key West before.

Thanks

Funland111

I'm sure the boats will be fixed by then, but right now, only Lost Reef is going out. That new shop, Seaduction, has already gone out of business.

I dove the Vandy with Lost Reef a couple days ago. They run a great little six(ish) pack.

Where are you staying? There are three ops withing a couple of blocks of each other in Old Town; Scuba Diving Key West, Florida - Lost Reef Adventures, Scuba Dive Key West with Captain's Corner and Southpointdivers Key West Scuba Diving. I've dived with all of them and they are all good. The sea can have a bit of texture in January, so be ready for that. In my experience Southpoint tends to be a little more conservative about dive profiles. Personally I think you should go with Lost Reef, but my wife works there and that makes me more than a little biased.

There are other shops on the island, but I have no personal experience with them.

I'm sure the boats will be fixed by then, but right now, only Lost Reef is going out. That new shop, Seaduction, has already gone out of business.

I dove the Vandy with Lost Reef a couple days ago. They run a great little six(ish) pack.

Katch,

We keep missing each other all over the place - I did the Vandy with Lost Reef on the 9th. Good trip with those guys. Hope to see you next year on some of the NC wrecks.

[video=youtube;CKoK_boEevk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKoK_boEevk[/video]

Where are you staying? There are three ops withing a couple of blocks of each other in Old Town; Scuba Diving Key West, Florida - Lost Reef Adventures, Scuba Dive Key West with Captain's Corner and Southpointdivers Key West Scuba Diving. I've dived with all of them and they are all good. The sea can have a bit of texture in January, so be ready for that. In my experience Southpoint tends to be a little more conservative about dive profiles. Personally I think you should go with Lost Reef, but my wife works there and that makes me more than a little biased.

There are other shops on the island, but I have no personal experience with them.
Thanks for the info.. My wife made the arrangements and I think we are staying near a place called Cafe Marquesa?? I assume that is in what is called the old town but not sure. My level is master scuba and my dive buddy has his advanced, but we haven't been in the water since March and would probably hire a guide for the first day at least. I'm hoping a 3mil and a hooded vest will be enough for January diving --thanks Bill

Thanks for the info.. My wife made the arrangements and I think we are staying near a place called Cafe Marquesa?? I assume that is in what is called the old town but not sure. My level is master scuba and my dive buddy has his advanced, but we haven't been in the water since March and would probably hire a guide for the first day at least. I'm hoping a 3mil and a hooded vest will be enough for January diving --thanks Bill

Water temp was 78 degrees last week - that should be like hot tub water for you northern folks. I wore a 3mm and was fine. If you need a guide for the Vandy, Chris at Lost Reef does a great job.

Water temp was 78 degrees last week - that should be like hot tub water for you northern folks. I wore a 3mm and was fine. If you need a guide for the Vandy, Chris at Lost Reef does a great job.
Chris is great, but he's is out of the country at the moment. Not sure how long he's going to be gone. I show 79 degrees on Sunday the 15th. I wore a 3mm and got overheated.

---------- Post added December 19th, 2013 at 10:32 AM ----------

If you're staying at the Marquesa Hotel, it's small and looks quite nice. It's at the corner of Fleming and Simonton, so it's 3 blocks South of the shops I mentioned earlier. If you're staying somewhere near there, the same holds true. It's an easy walk.

Have fun!

I've dove with Captain's Corner a few times and had a good experience on their Vandenberg two tank trip. They pretty much let you dive your own desired profile as long as you don't go into deco and as long as you're back on the dive boat at the specified time that they plan to head back to the dock after the second dive. I'm not fond of dive operators that are over bearing or try to 'hold your hand' too much and Captain's Corner was not that way at all. I've not dove with Lost Reef, but from all the good recommendations I've read lately, will probably give them a try on my next trip to KW.

I will ONLY go out with Captains Corner.
I have been annoyed too often down there, for too may reasons to list here, with many of the operators not just in Key West, but the Keys in general.
I do not know Lost Reef firsthand, but if it is good enough for Sportxlh, it is almost certainly good enough for me.

Chug
Hates controlling babysitters that talk downward and think they invented the sport.

I will ONLY go out with Captains Corner.
I have been annoyed too often down there, for too may reasons to list here, with many of the operators not just in Key West, but the Keys in general.
I do not know Lost Reef firsthand, but if it is good enough for Sportxlh, it is almost certainly good enough for me.

Chug
Hates controlling babysitters that talk downward and think they invented the sport.

FYI, As of my morning jog at 7:00 this morning, CC's boat was still not docked where it's supposed to be (it's broke).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom