Key West for 1 Day! What to see and who to see it with!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sayuncle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey SB,

I'm going to be in Key West in January and I've got 1 afternoon that I can dive! Obviously I'd like to maximize this fleeting opportunity so I'm looking for some solid recommendations on what to see and who to see it with!

Love to see the Vandenberg if possible. Anyway, I'd love your recommendations, besides it'll save me makin' all the phone calls :)

Thanks gang!

What kind of diver are you? Are you willing to spend a little more on a 6 pack, or are you happy on a more crowded boat? Are you solo equipped and certified? Are you bringing a buddy? Do you want a 2 tank? Do you want 1 long deco dive? Bringing your own gear or renting?

Agree with Franks questions. If you are more of an "independent" advanced diver, Finz and Captains corner are solid options. There are quite a few "hand holder" operations out there as well.

Guys, sorry for the newb post :wink:

I'm a NAUI MSD with over 100 dives. Been diving since 2010 in many varied locations. Lake Erie wrecks, typical tropical locations in Florida, Mexico, DR, Hawaii. I am not solo certified (who actually offers that) but I'm not uncomfortable on my own if need be. I'll bringing my own regs, computers will look to rent the rest. I'm not tech certified so decompression is out. Two tank trip is preferable :) On deeper dives I sling a 40 for redundancy

No buddy coming with me. I'm in town for meetings for 3 days and 1 free afternoon. Cost isn't usually a prohibitive factor within reason!

Being in NE Ohio I'm not used to having to sift through a myriad of operators. We take what we can get when we can get it :)

Since you need gear, but not your hand held, I would suggest Lost Reef Adventures. They are highly professional, with a conventional shop for rentals and whatever else you aren't bringing. I have nothing against Captain's corner or Finz as suggested above, but they are more boat operators than full service dive shops and while they are great to dive with, their logistics aren't set up for what you may want. I would avoid Dive Key West. They are great, and my go to dive boat, but they will assign a DM to dive on the Vandy with you, and limit your dive time. If they don't know you well.

Make you sure you check out the itineraries on each shop's website mentioned in this thread. Last time I was in KW in summer 2014, it seemed like quite a few shops went to the Vandenberg in the morning and other locations in the afternoon. I did my Vandy dives with Captain's Corner since they let me dive solo and they're very flexible with the experienced divers on the boat.

Many SDI shops offer the solo diving course. It's a good course even if you don't plan to dive solo much. It will simply make you a better diver. PADI also has a self-reliant course that is similar.

Last edited:
Many SDI shops offer the solo diving course. It's a good course even if you don't plan to dive solo much. It will simply make you a better diver. PADI also has a self-reliant course that is similar.

After diving solo for many years, took SDI Solo with Jupiter Dive Center about 2 1/2 years ago. It was a good course, above and beyond requirements, 1 day, 2 dives. Best of all, has facilitated diving solo with operators who do not know me, 100% success with operators who allow solo

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom