Key West recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pylut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a 5 day trip to Key West the 23rd of this month. I've researched Dive Shops and some sites that have mixed reviews, most of which are not current. Looking for input on who you would dive with again, are there any shore dives to be done and what site you may have liked the best. I like wreck diving as well as any other kinds. Any input would be helpful.
Marc

No shore diving, although the snorkling is good by the airport as well as off of Fort Zachary Taylor. I dive with Dive Key West, they are a great shop for true novices, they are happy to hold your hand, swap tanks for you at the end of the dive, and cater to the twice per year vacation diver. At the other end of the spectrum is the other shop I dive with, Lost Reef Adventures, who are just as happy to stand back and let you do your thing. I've heard many happy folks diving with Captain's Corner, their boat holds a lot of folks.... I haven't had the opportunity to dive with Seaduction, they like to cater to tech divers, take that for what it's worth. If you are looking for something a little more private and boutique, Finz dive center has a big catamaran and will run with 2 folks and take you exactly where you want to go. You have to call now and see what their availability is. I think the owner is succeeding beyond his wildest dreams and the boat runs most all the time. If you want to spear a fish, Finz is the boat to go on.

As wookie said there is virtually no shore diving on KW..Capt Corner is a big blue boat and can have alot of people on it..If you go with them go when they do a double dip on the Vandenberg. Not as many people then and the crew lets you do your own thing. If you are military inform Leslie there that you are and she mayl offer a discount..the reefs offshore where these operators go is a bit beat up. Reef diving better up closer to Cudjoe or Big Pine key (mm20-21)

I too have dived with Dive Key West. We were not originally scheduled to go out with them, but the company we were with originally canceled their outing.

we found dive Key West when we're figuring out what to do. They are a solid company. their crew is really nice. I would recommend them without a doubt.

we did Joe's tug which is a 60 ft wreck and then a reef. if you can avoid Joe's tug boat wreck, try to. It wasn't that great and there was a strong current.

please note that the dive sites are not a reflection of the quality of the dive shop

I have dived with all of the major shops here and they all have their pluses and minuses. If price is a concern, CC is generally the least expensive. Having friends, neighbors and/or close acquaintances that work for the various shops, I am no longer comfortable in recommending one over another. Since you're fairly experienced (over 200 dives), I don't think you'll go wrong with whoever you chose. Be sure and do at least one double dip on the Vandy. The reefs here may not be as pristine as they are in some other places, but you'll be here, not there, so it really doesn't matter.

Have fun!

isn't Joe's on the "wreck trek" though? speaking of military discounts -- don't forget it's possible to stay on the base cheaper than a hotel and includes protected parking and parking in key west is at a premium

We dove KW a couple years ago and dove only two days. Once with Southpoint and once with Lost Reef. We liked both ops. Dove the Vandy one tank, planned two but the current kicked up during the end of the 1st dive. Dove a shallow reef for the 2nd. The next day we dove the Cayman Salvager and a shallow reef. Vis on the wrecks were better than the reefs and not all that great on the reefs. KW topside was more fun and interesting than we thought it would be. Lots to see and do. Best part of the trip was the seaplane trip out to Ft Jefferson, touring the fort and snorkeling. Have fun.

Aside from diving the Vandenberg off the MV Spree on the way back from the Dry Tortugas, I've dove it with Captains Corner. I also used Subtropic in the past but I believe the shop has been sold and I've not tried the new operator. Captain's Corner's boat was big and stable, but I can see how if could be a bit crowded because of the deck configuration. It was somewhat of a low frill ride/trip, but I don't mind that at all. The deck hands offered to help change over BC's/tanks between dives because the boat's tank racks are somewhat unusual. The price was unbeatable: last year, a two tank trip to the Vandenburg with your own tanks was only $55.00!! Plus the operator was not militant about my buddy and I setting our own dive profiles/intervals, etc. The cap't simply indicated when we'd be leaving the mooring balls and let us plan the rest: I really really liked that aspect of the trip.

Thank you all for great input and recommendations! Looks like my wife will be going along and another friend will join us. Sounds like the 2 tank dive on the Vandy is the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom