Key West v. Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuts4diving

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're in the early stages of planning a family vacation for next June. We'll be using Marriott points, so that has us staying in either Key Largo or Key West. My husband and I are both divers, and our oldest daughter (will be 11) will likely be completing a PADI referral. We'll have snorkeling friends and family joining us some days, and our 7yr old daughter will likely be snorkeling as well. My husband & I will take turns diving with our oldest if she does more than just the cert dives. We're looking for recommendations all around--which Marriott property, what dive shop for my daughter to complete her cert, good diving and snorkeling locations suitable for the varied group, Standup Paddleboard spots suitable for kids, good swimming beaches, other non-diving, kid-friendly activities... (even restaurant & key lime pie recommendations!).

If staying in key largo I can't recommended AKA Dive charters enough young couple with mid teen kids great family oriented op fantastic people they felt more like family than new friends my wife and I had a blast with them

Jus got back from there n I'd honestly say islamorada n the Hampton Inn was the best hands down. It's 15 min from largo n tucked away very wooded w kits a food joints n charters close by. The best dive shop n the keys period is sail fish scuba key largo... Look it up your see =) best of luck!

If you were just concentrated on diving, I'd say Key Largo hands down, but since this is a family vacation, you might look closer at Key West. Key West has history, museums (Mel Fisher, East Martello, Hemingway House, Butterfly, etc, culture, (although a lot of the culture I wouldn't expose my 11 YO daughter to), Dry Tortugas by ferry or plane, something to fill every hour of every day. The diving is either advanced or of relatively poor quality unless you own your own boat. If you choose to charter privately, which can be done quite reasonably, the reefs are spectacular, but if you go where the dive operators take you, not so much.

Just based on your request for 'good swimming beaches' I would recomend Key West. Ft Zach on KW is great for swimming and snorkeling, and a day trip to Bahia Honda is a must do, only 40 minutes from KW and it is a beautiful drive.

Can you split your time between Key Largo and Key West? Key Largo has the better diving, but Key West has the better everything else (topside, that is). The drive between the two is something to see in itself.

What he said ... That's just what I did a few weeks ago, spent a couple of days at each, doing land-based stuff on Key West and diving at Key Largo. Worked out great.

Re: Marriott properties, in KL, you have the Courtyard and the full Marriott. Have only stayed at the Courtyard, nice property, pool, but no full restaurant and no room service. The full Marriott has a couple of restaurants, AND a beach on site. They have a dive charter on site too.

The nice thing about the Courtyard is that it is right on a canal that has a TON of dive charters, and right outside the doors is Rainbow Reef, which is highly rated. On the same canal within a few minutes drive are others.

In KL, can't go wrong with Keys Fisheries backyard, their KL pie was awesome too.

We dove with sail fish scuba and wasn't impressed at all super tiny boat no seating and the two young kids for dive masters yea try and keep a convo going with them.. they are even to tight to give u a bottle of water u get little Dixie cups that I used when I was a kid for mouth wash it isn't even a good mouth full. I'm a big fan of fruit on the surface interval gives energy takes the salt taste out plus its good vitamins and minerals but they offer u one piece of candy didn't much care for this dive op

What he said ... That's just what I did a few weeks ago, spent a couple of days at each, doing land-based stuff on Key West and diving at Key Largo. Worked out great.

My wife and I also did the same thing mid July. We stayed at Marriott Bay in KL, which we enjoyed - and covers your Stand up Paddleboard requirement, as well as kayaks and waverunners. It's reasonably shallow and lots of area to paddle. I believe it was $30 per person per hour, I'm sure there we discount rates for longer rental.
Can't comment on the on-site dive op (Pirate Island), we went to Scuba Do a mile or so down the road to do our AOW and EANx certs. We were quite happy with them. In hindsight, for convenience purposes only I may have given the on site op more consideration as Scuba Do didn't have any customer gear storage so we were bring our gear back and forth each day but they did at least have rinse tanks. Looked like there was plastic gear lockers above the dive shop at the Marriott.
Never stayed at the Marriott in KW but it is as far from most of the attractions as one can get and still be on the island. Not a problem if you don't mind driving and finding parking, just not an area I'd choose to stay. We generally prefer to stay at one of the inns closer to Old Town, park the car and do all our travelling by bike or foot.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom