KEYMAN, discount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azotino

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Facilities should provide their core instructional team with either keyman pricing, or cost plus shipping costs??? It's normal to have a keyman discount, or is just a favor????
Do you agree to have a keyman discount or a LDS can make profits on active members of their instructional team??

Facilities should provide their core instructional team with either keyman pricing, or cost plus shipping costs??? It's normal to have a keyman discount, or is just a favor????
Do you agree to have a keyman discount or a LDS can make profits on active members of their instructional team??
Keyman discounts when used as part of an overall marketing plan can have a significant effect in the mix of brands that are sold at a shop. It is a valuable tool and it is (IMHO) penny wise and pound foolish for shops to not make keyman deals available to all of their staff that they possibly can.

It's up to the discretion of the facility. It would seem to make sense that they have their staff using equipment available for sale at the facility .... However .....

Define "Core Instructional Team".

What are you doing to earn that discount? How many people do you refer to the facility? What is your sales volume during your classes? How many classes/hours do you work per year/month? I have been in situations where someone who earns the DM card thinks they deserve equipment at cost, immediately.

What is cost? Cost to a business owner is more than just the "cost of goods". It includes all the things that make the business happen. Even the toilet paper in the bathroom could be figured into the delivery of a product or service.

Just giving you a different perspective. Why don't you approach your facility with a plan that incorporates some of this thinking. I think it will be a lot better received than an entitlment plea.

jcf

Cost (or Cost +10) and Keyman are radically different things.

Correct Thal,

Keyman is offered from the manufacturers through the dealer. Usually, a keyman deal is associated with the staff member sitting through a retail seminar. Not all dealers are offered keyman deals. Not all dealers want keyman deals because they like the cash flow from their instructors.

Only the larger manufacturers offer keyman deals (which is usually 20 to 40% off dealer cost). Smaller manufacturers just offer their products at cost - which is the same as if buying it at cost through the dealer. Or smaller manufacturers may offer customization or free pockets or something like that. Drysuit manufacturers do that quite often.

This discussion brings up something that I hear all of the time and frankly don't understand. Why are employees (instructors) paying for the equipment used during their classes to begin with?

At our store, we provide our direct employees and contracted instructors with all of the necessary equipment to teach classes and act as role models for our customers. This includes top-of-the-line equipment.....pretty much what they want, within reason. We don't provide canister lights, or DPV's, or things of that sort. But buoyancy systems, regulators, computers, wetsuits, fins, masks, all of the traditional stuff is provided. They don't pay key man or cost....it is provided. Our instructors upgrade to new equipment every year. The equipment always remains the property of the business, is thus covered under the rental insurance policies, and can be used by the instructor or employee anytime they choose. They maintain possession for as long as they remain an employee or until "update" time comes. It is simply a business expense. Are we doing things different from most stores?

Phil Ellis

This discussion brings up something that I hear all of the time and frankly don't understand. Why are employees (instructors) paying for the equipment used during their classes to begin with?

At our store, we provide our direct employees and contracted instructors with all of the necessary equipment to teach classes and act as role models for our customers. This includes top-of-the-line equipment.....pretty much what they want, within reason. We don't provide canister lights, or DPV's, or things of that sort. But buoyancy systems, regulators, computers, wetsuits, fins, masks, all of the traditional stuff is provided. They don't pay key man or cost....it is provided. Our instructors upgrade to new equipment every year. The equipment always remains the property of the business, is thus covered under the rental insurance policies, and can be used by the instructor or employee anytime they choose. They maintain possession for as long as they remain an employee or until "update" time comes. It is simply a business expense. Are we doing things different from most stores?

Phil Ellis

Certainly a good solution and option. While I don't think you are exclusive with that practice, I certainly think you are in the minority.

The two pitfalls are (1) outlaying the cost for a large staff (relative to the size of the shop - 2 people could be a large staff) and (2) buying equipment for moderately active staff may not reap the cost benefit.

The Keyman or discount incentive program places the cost burden on the independent contractor (instructor / divemaster).

I do know that some shops require staff to teach (at least in confined water) in rental gear.

jcf

Are we doing things different from most stores?
Yes ... but then you seem to know exactly what you are doing.

I like philellis' idea. I would think all shops would either have to do this or offer a discount/keyman to the staff. If they didn't then, well, why would you teach there? I mean honsetly, I would think it is a lot easier for an instructor to teach without the support of a local shop (talking part time here) then it is for a shop to stay in business without any instructors.

I do not work in the dive business but in reading these various post on this site it sounds a lot like screw and be screwed....

Back
Top Bottom