Keys camping and beach diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AGA-Viking

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So, I am on a budget and looking to beach dive in the keys. I have been out on some boat trips and they are nice, however I am planning to stay a week and I am looking for the best camping spot I can find. Also, is just cost too much for me to boat dive every day, so I was hoping to find a place where beach diving is at least acceptable, just to keep my gear wet and my head under the water, thanks

Thomas

Shore diving in the keys is almost non existent. The problem is finding water deep enough to make it worth your while...as most of the near shore deep water is in the channels cut for boat traffic. Camping and diving at Bahia Honda park is OK, but watch out for the boat traffic and the bull sharks.

The KOA campground 23 mi north of Key West has nice facilities and good proximity to dive ops around Big Pine Key (access to Looe Key preserve). I'm not sure you'd consider it a budget spot but that's the Keys. I don't know that you'll find any beach diving in the Keys, it's very shallow along the shorelines.

I love cheap trips to the Keys..... I've tent camped at Bahia Honda, Curry Hammock and Long Key State Parks. All are nice, though Long Key's sites are pretty close to the main road, so bring ear-plugs or a fan to drown out the sound with some white noise. All have electric hookups so you bring extension cords to charge your phone or computer or camera batteries.

In theory, you can dive off the beach just about anywhere, but you're not going to see much and it will pretty much be a sand dive. Bring a dive flag if you decide to try it. All the diving in the Keys is basically boat diving with the only half-way acceptable exception I can think of being Cannon Beach in John Pennekamp State Park and from descriptions I've seen posted, it doesn't sound very nice. I know Pete, the owner of SB, has posted a couple reviews of his dives there: search the Florida section and you can probably find his posts. I've read about diving at Bahia Honda that tomfcrist referenced but have never tried it, I've read that local knowledge of the currents/tides is critical or you can be pulled out to sea very very easily. Just watching boats drift fish from the bridge overlook, one can see how swift and potentially dangerous that current can be.

Another cheap option for accommodations is the Hungry Pelican Motel on Key Largo: they have one room that is tiny tiny tiny that rents for $60 a night and a couple of tiny tiny rooms that rent for $65 per night. I've used these options twice, its not much more than camping, but you'll have a fridge, shower/bathroom, a/c and comfortable bed and only spend another $20-$25 per night over a camp site.

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom