Keys dive charters suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flatsbrats

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be going to the keys in may and staying in marathon for our honeymoon. I am looking for suggestions on charters, preferably near there but am will g to travel anywhere in the keys. basically I am trying to avoid the God awful cattleboats. So far I am looking at dive duck key but am looking for more suggestions. I got certified at abyss and I loved them but have not heard anything since the hurricane so I am assuming the worst.

I have used Quiessence. They dive 6 packs. They do a morning trip and an afternoon trip. 2 tanks each. They dive spots that other operations don’t know. Oh, they are in Key Largo and operate 3 or 4 boats. I think you can charter the whole boat if you pay the freight. My wife and I reserved spots for the whole week. One day, we were the only customers and they still took us out.

I have always been happy with Silent World and Horizon. Horizon has one larger boat that would be considered cattle but they do a great job. I have never used Rainbow but hear good things about them. Same with Sail Fish Scuba. Closer to Marathon, you could consider Looe Key. Enjoy.

Thank you to everybody that has replied so far this helps a lot. I grew up and currently live on a fairly slow paced island up the coast a ways so I hate it when I get stuck with a bunch of impatient people crammed in a sardine can. Not exactly what I call relaxing which is the whole reason I like to dive, especially for the honeymoon.

Stay away from dive duck key, waste of money. We did two dives with them about a year ago, and it was a total dissapointment. Dive guides literally standing on top of the coral reef trying to shoot some fish. That, and the attemt on diving a thirty foot reef in ten ft seas made them look unprofessional to me. YMMV, but I would not recommend them.

I think "cattleboats" have gotten a bad wrap many times. Just because a boat is large and carries 20+ divers doesn't mean that it is crowded and unpleasant. Some of my most enjoyable, laid back dives have been on "cattleboats" with Horizon in Key Largo (Chica View) and Sea Experience (Fort Lauderdale). I dive smaller boats as well and they have their pros but also their cons.

The only dive op I have experience with in Key Largo is Horizon. They have a large boat (Chica View) and a small boat (Pisces). They are easy to get to and have ample parking right by the boat. Their service is top notch and I have always had a pleasant time diving with them. I've been on both their larger and smaller boats.

I think "cattleboats" have gotten a bad wrap many times. Just because a boat is large and carries 20+ divers doesn't mean that it is crowded and unpleasant. Some of my most enjoyable, laid back dives have been on "cattleboats" with Horizon in Key Largo (Chica View) and Sea Experience (Fort Lauderdale). I dive smaller boats as well and they have their pros but also their cons.

I'm with you on this one. Key Largo is an extremely popular diving spot, it's going to get crowded. When in Key Largo I like to use Horizon and Rainbow Reef. They can be considered "crowded" on their rec dive boats, but their service has been top notch.

Crowded can sometimes be a good thing. Would you like to be the only diner at a restaurant? How about the only one at nightclub? On a dive boat, you can meet and converse with a variety of like-minded people. Embrace the fun.

Dove with Abyss in June 2017, will likely dive with them again next time we are in Marathon. Is their website up?

Also dove with Key Largo Dive Center that week and would recommend them as well. They run a six pack, and for the five of us it was actually cheaper to charter the whole boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom