Keys Dive Operations Post-Irma: Who will be opening, and when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for creating this thread. I had similar questions. How long does it take the water to clear after a hurricane? I dove in Costa Rica where the water was pretty murky. I was told there had been a hurricane in the area three weeks earlier. I suspect a lot of the loss of viz was due to river effluent (silt). I have reservations to Turks and Caicos in November. I assume I will still see lots of damage, but with most things up and running, including dive ops. I look forward to giving them my business.

What do you think that chances are that the Vandenberg or the Spiegal Grove have been moved. It would be devastating if either one of those wrecks have tipped over.

Has anyone heard word from the Middle Keys? I think points below MM75 are still closed?

I have friends who own a big operation in Marathon...goes without saying I am very worried for them.

I too lived through Hugo in South Carolina and worked for the power company. I can tell you that in the aftermath of Hugo people worked together and made things happen a lot faster than anyone expected. We had areas that we believed it would take at least a month to get power back to after the storm. Due to folks working their tails off, most everyone had power back in less than two weeks.

In my own neighborhood, myself and a couple of my neighbors went around clearing trees so that the companies' tree services wouldn't have to do it before the line crews could come out and restore power. Consequently, instead of taking at least a week to get power back, we had power back in four days.

Maybe folks are different now days but, it wouldn't surprise me if the folks in Florida had things up and running with a week or so. The lower Keys may take longer. Their economy is sure going to need it in the coming months.

There is a huge difference between the relatively small area hit by Hugo compared to the widespread devastation spread throughout the Keys and the rest of Florida during Irma. It is not a fair comparison. Yes, people can do a lot to help themselves and others, but if you do not have food, water, electricity, or gas, it is very difficult to make a rapid recovery from a catastrophic event like Irma.

We're booked to dive with Rainbow Reef in 1 month. I'm an optimist, so I'm holding out hope that everything will be good to go by then, in terms of dive trips, the hotel, and obviously fuel and electricity availability. If they're up and running, I'd love to give them my money!

Saw a note from Capt Gary. His house and boats are OK but there is significant water damage in the shop. His quote:
Our yard at the house

We are blessed as no damage to the house and we still have electric and water.

The shop is not good as we have water blown in there and damaged a lot of stuff. Boats are OK but it will be months before we get up and running again.

No cell or internet as house so I have to drive to MM 100 to get cell service.

Prayers for the out neighbors in the lower Keys they got it worse than us and we got it pretty bad."

So it will be months. But I don't really think it will be months.

NOAA has fly over pictures of the keys, Post Irma. Upper keys have many boats still tied up with no damage. Nice way to check out the dive shops and their boats condition.

Hurricane IRMA Imagery

We're booked to dive with Rainbow Reef in 1 month. I'm an optimist, so I'm holding out hope that everything will be good to go by then, in terms of dive trips, the hotel, and obviously fuel and electricity availability. If they're up and running, I'd love to give them my money!

No worries...they'll be up and running in NO time. Probably by this weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom