Keys Dive Operations Post-Irma: Who will be opening, and when?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious how the rental car situation will be. When I lost a car in a flood 15 years ago every rental car agency in the city was completely out of cars with waiting lists. The Keys is not well suited for those without a car.

I'm curious how the rental car situation will be. When I lost a car in a flood 15 years ago every rental car agency in the city was completely out of cars with waiting lists. The Keys is not well suited for those without a car.

Many of our divers stay at the Marriott or Key West Inn, which are both a few steps away. Several eateries are also just a short walk.

I talk to several of our divers who never rent a car anyway.

Many of our divers stay at the Marriott or Key West Inn, which are both a few steps away. Several eateries are also just a short walk.

I talk to several of our divers who never rent a car anyway.

I'm sure it can be done but what percentage of your divers don't have access to a car, whether one they rent or one they own? The Keys are just not a destination that is conducive to walking or public transit. Last I checked, there was no public transit from either MIA or FLL to Key Largo and a private shuttle cost more than a weekly car rental.

Is Uber active in Key Largo?

Uber is active.

Long story... but I found myself stranded and quite wobbly one evening at the Carribean Club. As I was making the LONG walk back to the Courtyard by Rainbow, it occured to me to try Uber. There was one and they picked me up at the side of the road. :)

Hey man, I hope you don't mind my adding here. But most of the keys are sustained by tourism type of businesses. Aid only goes so far, getting those businesses up and running is the primary way by which the keys can make a full recovery. This is especially true since the out of towners are cancelling their trips and not coming, removing a lot of the revenue required to recover. They are less concerned about local businesses than they are with their vacations (nothing necessarily wrong with that - just the nature of the beast). So, for my part, yes, I'm going down there with the Red Cross this Saturday to help. However, more importantly, I'm going diving with Rainbow Reef as soon as I'm allowed. I'm highly supportive of anyone who still desires to get their vacation going here.

@Wookie

Yeah, I'm shocked, too, about the folks clamoring for dive op, hotel, and reef info when the Keys are in chaos.

I was thinking of a Key Largo trip this winter, but with Irma happening, I've nixed that and won't go south this winter. Another year.

The check point in Florida City ends to tonight. Tomorrow anyone can enter the Keys. There are areas in the Middle & Lower Keys that are restricted to residents and will have their own check points.
There are still boiled water notices.

Ocean Divers is running a post-Irma appreciation dive trip Sat. Other ops are ready to dive. Some still need time to re-build & YOUR SUPPORT. We all want you back!
I saw a post on facebook by silent world saying that:
We are not seeing us taking any dive trips before October 1st 2017 as mandated by the United States Coast Guard.

Have you guys heard anything from USCG about that?

Yes. Ports are closed, violate the closure at your own risk.

The Port Largo canal is not closed. Our boats and Ocean Divers boats have been running in and out of there doing reef/wreck survey dive trips for a few days now.

I'm sure it can be done but what percentage of your divers don't have access to a car, whether one they rent or one they own? The Keys are just not a destination that is conducive to walking or public transit. Last I checked, there was no public transit from either MIA or FLL to Key Largo and a private shuttle cost more than a weekly car rental.

I expect the majority have a car to get around with, but I have never surveyed anyone about it.

There is a shuttle running from KL to Miami several times daily, has been for a long time.

One of the guys I know drives for Uber in KL.

Its not a perfect situation at this point.

If coming from the northeast...one word: "AutoTrain" or is that two words?

I'll be onboard when it leaves today at 4:00pm. We'll get to Sanford Florida around 9:00am with my Jeep (filled with 6 scuba tanks, a kayak, work/vacation clothes and a ton of dive gear) in the car carrier rail cars.

:cheers:
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom