Keys in November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba kbell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking about taking a road trip to the Florida Keys the second week in November. I would like to drive down to Key West and then probably also make stops in Marathon and Key Largo on the way back. What are the dive conditions like that time of the year (temp, vis, waves, etc)? I heard the seas and winds could be a bit rough, are dives frequently cancelled? What type of wet suit is ideal that time?
Thanks!

I was down last November for the last two weeks, and the water was a tad rougher than I've been used to down there. (nothing that some Dramamine and a little timing to get back on the boat didn't cure) I had no dives cancelled this trip which was amazing! (well, I lied, one was cancelled but it was from lack of people signed up for the boat that afternoon...only me! But I found a different OP at the other end of the Keys and still got two in)

Visibility wasn't bad except for one trip...but I think it's usually bad at that spot...

I wore a 3mm and was very comfortable.

I'll be back down again the last week of November/first week of December!

Thanks for the info! One last question, is there a significant difference in weather/water conditions between Key Largo and Key West?

Yes the diving conditions can be very different from Key West to Key Largo. Here are the conditions during various times of the year in the Upper Keys.....
Upper Keys Weather.

Good Diving,

I wore my 5mm all winter, but I'm female and probably smaller than you are. The Cayman Salvage Master is a wreck in 90 ft of water located in Key West. There's good diving in Marathon but lots more in Key Largo. Bring a hat and sweatshirt for surface intervals to keep the wind off of you when you're wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom