Keys vs. Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Better" is totally subjective. They are totally different. The Keys tend to be "prettier" and they have some nice wrecks. Jupiter and Boynton tend to be deeper and it is drift diving. I think Palm Beach County diving is more "interesting" than the Keys.

Jupiter and the Keys really don't have shore diving worth the effort. Broward County is pretty much the only place for it.

I agree with Debby. One thing to keep in mind. If you are going to dive in Jupiter and Boynton you will want nitrox.

Yup - Debby is correct

I think Jupiter is fantastic - but I'd still tell you to go back to Cozumel - Dominica, Little Cayman, St Croix (for the "Buy American" contingency), Grand Turk also merit consideration. From where you live, Hawaii (Maui, Kaui, Hawaii).

Glad you got the chance to swim w/ the whale sharks - should be on everyones short list; mind blowing experience, and somthing you can do w/ a non scuba diving friend or spouse as its snorkeling only, plus Isla Holbox is cool for a night or so.

If we're still talking about Cozumel vs. the Keys... My vote goes to Cozumel for the better diving, greater visibility, etc.

I've been to Cozumel 3 times in the last two years, and Key Largo in July. I enjoyed diving both places, but the type of diving is quite different.

In Key Largo unless you are going to the deep wrecks, most of your dives will be less than 30' deep. Current was slow on most of the dives I did. The reefs are finger reefs mostly in sand flats. Dives were not guided dives. The dive op I used limited a dive to one hour or 500 PSI. With the shallow depths an hour dive was very easy to do with plenty of air left. The Viz was 40' to 60' most dive sites.

The viz is better at Coz. The Coz drift diving and dive depths are completely different. I really did enjoy diving Key Largo without a guide as I got to do the dive I wanted instead of follow the leader guided dives. I enjoyed diving both places and look forward to going to both again.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom