Kick technique and leg cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tatakai

Contributor
Reaction score
I got to dive Saturday and had the pleasure of doing 6 dives. After the first few dives I started to get leg cramps. That didn't bother me and I dealt with it and continued on witht he dive. After the third cramp on another dive my leg was starting to ache more and more. I was going to do what would have been the seventh dive and my leg cramped just as we had started and it wouldn't go away.
I know that I was excited about getting my C card and wanted to dive as much as I could was part of it maybe and doing to much and not being physically fit enought to do that many dives. I was told that I am bycycling my kicks and was racing across the bottom as well.
So my question is this what and how do I fix this and get my leg over cramping? It was my right leg that cramped everytime also. Cant wait to get back in the water again and dive.

Tatakai

There are two beautiful discussions of muscle cramping and how to prevent it here from someone who does diving fitness for a living. They are very good articles.

Bicycling will cause you to cramp. The only cure is to learn how to kick (which you should have done when you learned how to swim) using the flutter kick or the frog kick.
Being dehydrated will add to the cramping problem as well, so drink plenty of water.

You are probably trying to use a flutter kick. To avoid bicycling, concentrate on keeping your knees in one position. Bend them just enough to be comfortable (not *locked* straight out), but don't flex your knee or ankle to swim. Instead, use your hips.

I got a lot of cramps on my first few dives. The culprits included dehydration, bad technique, stress, and cold water. I found that I mostly cramped at the beginning and ending of dives, when I was thinking about technique and cramps. When I was down on the bottom looking at stuff and thrilling to the sensation of being down on the bottom, I forgot to cramp up. Get hyrdated, wear appropriate exposure protection, and then just relax and take it really easy.

I would say that dehydration was part of the cause as well. I had eaten since Friday morning and only had a Dr Pepper on the way to the quarry. Its my own fault and need to eat every once in a while. I did eat and have something to drink later on Saturday night went to a luau (sp?) to celebrate the dives of the day.
Thanks for the links also TSandM, I have read the one on leg cramps and was looking at the rest of them. Will read them later on.

Thanks again

Tatakai

Drink plenty of water and eat a couple of bananas for the potassium

I also suffer from leg cramps both windsurfing and diving. Recommend plenty of water and the banana also! At least you will be ace at the Cramp removal part of the OW test!

TSandM:
There are two beautiful discussions of muscle cramping and how to prevent it here from someone who does diving fitness for a living. They are very good articles.

Those are very very good articles, Thanks for the direction.
I occasionally suffer from cramps and now know it is my general level of unfitness that is the cause. I can eat as many bananas and drink as much water as I like, I will still get cramps when I am unfit.

He has some really good ideas for exercises that can be done at home in a reasonable time.

No excuses now I just have to get on and do them.

As I really got into shore diving, all the while moutain biking on many off days, my legs grew stronger and stronger. Still, for comfort I was basically having to use a frog kick (which I really liek for the control it gives) after kicking out a good ways on top.

Then I changed fins to a proven, and very efficient, fin. The workload, during flutter kicks, was reduced massively, and my speed had to double, or come close to it.

Multiple shore dives - kicking the whole way out to reefs, around, then back again (try 3 shore dives by noon one day, then one more after) became a reality.

Part of it is technique, part of it is strength, but a fin change brought about the speed and distance I needed.

All fin makers are going to claim they have the best. Do a little research and decide that for yourself.

Personally, I'm keeping my stiff fins for technical diving (wrecks, etc.) where tight control is an issue (frog kick), and my new fins for distance kicking.

Best,

MD

Agree with what is said above about general fitness, nutrition and hydration.

Also, endeavor to learn/master the frog kick. Using smaller, more effcient muscles is an almost instant way to end cramping difficulties.

Back
Top Bottom