Kill the LION FISH or catch 'em in SoFla?? Input needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate the comment Bilsant.
I think these suckers are different and the legislature and Fish & Game might need a while to figure it out.
I know that we will be smarter than too many of the idiots running some of the marine parks down in the Carribean in the we are asking people to blast these things. Too many of those ignorant savages with a politically appointed job and absolutely no bio-education are freaked out in some places that some people might want to carry a barbless piece of steel about 1/8" in diameter and 24" long as we will undoubtedly be killing the 54 pound grouper with them.
As far as the taxing and whatnot, it will be so minimal that it is unworthy of the effort.
They are here to staty in my opinion.
Even if someone does release it, it will be in a canal somewhere, not a boat.
As an aside, some folks reading this thread may not realize that the most humane method to dispose of an unwanted/sick/whatever tropical fish is to just drop it into a pot of boiling water. The larger the better on the pot.
They die instantly.
It would be like one of us being teleported into the heart of the sun.

I learned this from a well respected person in the tropical fish industry.

Chug
Thinks his old Sherwood Avid BCD looks so much cooler with a nice new Seaquest power inflator.

I am all for whatever it takes to remove as many as possible from our reefs, to stop the population explosion and maintain the previous status quo on our reefs.

However, I am against selling these critters to aquarium stores, in the fear that they will in turn be returned to our reefs, and the problem continues.

I am all for whatever it takes to remove as many as possible from our reefs, to stop the population explosion and maintain the previous status quo on our reefs.
However, I am against selling these critters to aquarium stores, in the fear that they will in turn be returned to our reefs, and the problem continues.

I understand your thoughts Joyce; but hear me out.
These things are reproducing in some if not most places faster than we can kill them.
They breed down to 300', and other than your group down here (of which I am very envious), few of us go that deep.
I think that us capturing them here and selling them is giving great impetus to stop importing them and helping them in their native range.
Also, If I have to pay 60 bucks for a dive and get lucky enough to capture 10, kill 10 and get 50 bucks for them it's a win-win. I think the cat is out of the bag.
My opinion is that very few will be reintroduced, and of those that are, at least we stopped them from breeding for a while.
These are just thought from an ignoramus to a great extent. I do not have a biology degree, or a clue sometimes, and I am seeking opinions and knowledge.

Chug
Not that I wish every day was Memorial Day, but this was a relaxing one to watch "The Longest Day" for the 83rd time.

Some food for thought: A lionfish in captivity will have much less opportunity to breed and reproduce than one left an equivalent time in the wild. Even if it does eventually find its way back to the reef it's likely to be less of a problem than one left there unmolested.

I'm in. Here we are excited when we find them. They're indigenous to our seas and not prevalent. They are kept well under control by the other sealife. I hope that my home seas and oceans soon adapt. I believe they will, and I hope before irreparable damage is done to the reefs and other life.

In the meantime, catch, kill, and serve 'em up. We may be the only thing that can make a dent and give nature time to sort herself out and teach the other critters how to keep normal numbers. Let's be honest with ourselves. We have screwed this pooch. We have now dumped a fish into our seas that we will never get rid of. We should do our damnedest to help out.

I think that selling to aqauriams is not helping too much, but also won't hurt any more. Fish owners may dump a few in the sea, but most who dump them will do so by toilet or trash. Just the way we are..................

Last edited:
Fish owners may dump a few in the sea, but most who dump them will do so by toilet or trash.

OMG!!! Lionfish in the sewers!?! And I thought alligators were bad!!! :shocked2:

I'm all for killing them, but as long as they come off the reef, it's all good.

Glad you are taking the little ones, too. Awhile back some were saying it wasn't worth the trouble to kill the little ones. I see it as getting them off the reef BEFORE they eat so many of the creatures I love!

Plus, deep fry the little guys (about 2-3" body without head and tail) and they're great to munch, bones and all! Mmmmm... botanas!

Plus, deep fry the little guys (about 2-3" body without head and tail) and they're great to munch, bones and all! Mmmmm... botanas!

I need to try that.
I am torn though, typically we leave the larger ones for the sealife to eat in the hope that they will get used to, and actually begin to, see the Bastages as a food source.

Chug
Still figuring it out.

Freeze the eatin' size critters and send 'em to me.

We're trying to put together a Lionfish Picnic & Stomp up here in the Great White North for this summer and need something to grill. This will be way more fun than trying to shuck a zillion Zebra mussels. PM me for details but the deal is I'll pay shipping and handling, within reason, and give you credit for contributing to the feast.

I need to try that.
I am torn though, typically we leave the larger ones for the sealife to eat in the hope that they will get used to, and actually begin to, see the Bastages as a food source.

Watch out! You're gonna run afoul of the "Don't feed the fish!!" camp... :bash:
They make excellent ceviche, too... :blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom