Killer Bungee- Myth or Fact

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddy had a non-bungee 60lb lift wing and he had to contort and move to get the air bubble to vent, which caused him to ascend too fast, had to grab onto a rock ledge and push it out....he has now switched to a bungee version and much happier...it seems as though the bungees keep the air more uniform and easier to dump....also they are tight against the fabric and would be very hard to snag, and if they did snag, they probably would just break...don't know, I don't go into environmennts with things that would snag on a bungee cord 10 inches from my body

Isn't the real reason people die with bungees is because they have a mind of their own and like nothing more than to slither around a divers a neck and choke them out?

Pete, I did dive your bungied wings of death at the first Wreckmania in June of 2002. Like I said, "it should be a minor problem and not a cause of death." If they were punctured at the time, it wasn't evident to me. I am curious about one thing, how did you know they were punctured for a month before you noticed?
I backed into a sharp object (United Caribbean???) and saw the damage on the cover, but I too did not notice an undue amount of having to add air. It was only when I was diving a much heavier configuration, double lp 95s, is when it was noticeable and even then it was easily manageable. When I took the cover off, realised that I had punctured it, so I patched it with a tire patch. It is still serviceable, but I almost always dive my DSS wings now.

The stability given by the bungeed wings is far better than unbungeed without a doubt! That, and you can dump air from any angle, and you never seem to get water in the bladder.

Buddy had a non-bungee 60lb lift wing and he had to contort and move to get the air bubble to vent, which caused him to ascend too fast, had to grab onto a rock ledge and push it out....
Was he diving singles or doubles? Not to disparage your buddy, but if he was diving doubles, that sounds like a technique issue, not a gear issue.

Was he diving singles or doubles? Not to disparage your buddy, but if he was diving doubles, that sounds like a technique issue, not a gear issue.

Diving a single steel 119....we quickly decided that is too much TACO!!

I dive a Dive Rite "Rec" wing with bungies. I've done so for a long time and in areas where there is a very real chance of becoming "entwined" on something.

I am not dead. At least physically anyway.

the k

I dive the very same, I have had no problems but I was dead!!:D

I have access to several different wings, OMS included. I've dived the OMS bungied wings and honestly, I see no real advantage to them. My thinking was, if there's no difference, why do I need them? I opted for a traditional, non bungied wing. Of course, like all scuba gear, it all about personal preference. I don't dislike the bungied wing, I just don't see the need to unnecessarily complicate ones gear. :palmtree: Bob

Back
Top Bottom