Killer robots for lion fish...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
just saw this on CNN's website.I see lots of issues before it will become a game changer, still requires someone to operate, still one fish at a time, but it is interesting nevertheless. Now...swimming with a group of sharks trained to eat lion fish....that would be fun!

Now all you slackers get back to work!!!

Jay

Are killer robots the only solution to lionfish plague? - CNN.com

I haven't seen a lot of lionfish willing to hold still while the robot positions the two electro-paddles around them.

Most I see are in holes where it won't work at all.

What they need is a jacked-up cattle prod on a robot controllable arm. Zap them and leave the carcass for something to eat.

What will keep the device from crashing into the reef, since it's remote control driven by a human operator? That's going to have a range; can you imagine paying a boat to take you out to sit onboard operating one of these?

I'm glad to see the effort and ingenuity applied, and I hope it works out great, but I'm skeptical.

While I realize it would miss out on the 'lion fish as human food' angle, I'd rather see one that just kills & leaves them, rather than tries to retrieve the body. Seems that would add considerable complexity to the device, plus the need to head up top after killing one or maybe two? How about just cruising the reef killing as many as possible before the battery runs down?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom