Killing big fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

powerhead

Reaction score
For those spearhunters out there. . . .

I've often faced a bit of a struggle when I don't hit a good stone shot on bigger fish. One method I've used is to grab the fish by the head and pull out some of its gills. Other times I've used my dive knife to either cut the gills or jam into the fish's brain. I've seen documentaries where shark observers have used powerheads on both long and shor battons/shafts, for close range self protection. Any of you ever thought of keeping an extra powerhead on a 10 to 20 inch shaft to powerhead big struggling fish at close range?

This spare powerhead approach seems to provide a quick method to dispatch the fish, but poses additional dangers of close range use of a fierearm? What about putting a big circle hook or gaff tip on a similar sized shaft, to help you quickly control the fish in situations where it may be sliding of a freeshaft?

Any tips on controlling and killing big fish are welcome.

In US "Federal water" and most US "State water" the use of powerheads on food or sport fish is prohibited.

An Ice pick to the brain base works, but requires you to gain full control of the fish before using it.

"Throating" the fish at the junction of gills and the belly, just aft of the gills, will cut the main circulation system between the heart and the gills. Most fish will bleed out in less than 20 seconds. It also stops the circulation of O2 to the brian instantly, so the fish tends to "go to sleep" in about 5 to 8 seconds. The best part of this is that if you have the fish well shot and tied off to structure you can approach from outside the cable arc and cut the throat without the hazard of getting "inside the arc" to fully subdue the fish. It can also be easily done on a "bottomed" fish in open water.

BTW I don't know what you are refering to in the size range "big". I think of "big" fish as being in the 60 pound to 100 pound range. "Huge" fish will be over 100#, or over 8' long for light bodied fish.

That topic has been beat to death on FS Forum, Diver's corner

It's recent and you'll find some good debates there and good knowledge.

That is also a great topic for Spearboard.com

Different states have different rules. Check out the rules in your area. Beco.com is a good site for products; if that's not it search for bang sticks.

Commercial guys use them often. Small Divers shooting large fish definitely will see the advantage.

If you haven't been turned on to Spearfishing Specialties, check out Spear One's Post or Replies and check out this site.

Keving Bruington is THE MAN! Surgical placement is what he teaches.

I always prefer to harvest with a free shaft, Sometimes a line. Less chance of equipment failure or a bad shell not firing.

floridasportsman.com (if you've never been to the forum)

Shooter Dan...don't you know that "Fishing Hurts"??;-0

I didn't want to start a debate on the ethics of powerheads or if its either legal or sporting to use them. I could care less about that. I wanted to get creative ideas about killing and controlling bigger fish when the kill shot has missed. Yes.-- by big I meant in the 50-60lb range. AJ's particularly--cine the boigger ones are now a bit closer to the coast. Haven't had the pleasure of one much bigger than 65lbs-yet.

powerhead once bubbled...
Any tips on controlling and killing big fish are welcome.

Patience and Positioning. Those are the best tips I can give you. My spearfishing takes place at the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. My preferred method of hunting is to drop down through the middle of the rig slowly while watching for large prey on the outskirts of it. When I spot a likely target I try to keep myself positioned on a parallel course to it while keeping one of the cross beams between us. That way if the fish isn't stoned and plunges for the bottom I will have some leverage with the line running across a beam to arrest it's flight. I have been very fortunate so far that practically all of my hits have been kill shots. Such was the case with the 47 lb. amberjack in this picture:

Thanx UP,those guys were going to run this thread into the ground playing the Devil's advocate if you'd let'em.BTW"fishsticker" really has a good ring to it.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom