Kingston, Jamaica - Advice/help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It seems like I might be there end of November and I was hoping to arrive a day early (Sunday 27th or perhaps Saturday 26th but that one is tough) and I probably need to return Tuesday night or at best Wednesday morning). This is work trip for work Mon-Tue or perhaps Tue-Wed and I would like to add a day before for some diving.

Ideally I would like some evening/shore dives after work as I really enjoy night diving. But I am not even sure how much of an option is it in or close to Kingston.

Also looking for a place to stay that might be diver friendly.

Nice....I can only imagine the lead you will get in Foursquare for your travels there!

Iztoc, did you get a response yet? I don't think there's much of a shore-scene in Kingston, but there are some epic wrecks a ways offshore. There are some Kingston guys on this forum, so keep your fingers crossed, and if you get stuck PM me and I'll forward you to a buddy who teaches there and is always looking for an excuse to get to the bigger stuff off-shore. There is also the JSAC and UWISAC clubs, though I'm not sure how they work with guests.
A

No response unfortunately.

It looks like I'll have to fly into Montego Bay and drive to Kingston. How far is that?

Would it make sense to dive somewhere near Montego Bay or between it and Kingston? I would really love evening dive but other options are ok. Just don't have much flexibility due to work.

Driving from MoBay to Kinston is quite a long, rough trip. It is across an island with very poor roads. There are no scheduled flights that I know about so I'd check on hiring a small charter flight. I've used TimAir many times, great service. You can reserve online at timair.net.

No response unfortunately.

It looks like I'll have to fly into Montego Bay and drive to Kingston. How far is that?

Would it make sense to dive somewhere near Montego Bay or between it and Kingston? I would really love evening dive but other options are ok. Just don't have much flexibility due to work.

Are you staying in Kingston? Wasn't clear from your original post (or maybe it was and I missed the interpretation).

If you are flying into MoBay, have you considered diving in the Negril area? Maybe coming in a day early as you indicate, and heading West before you head to Kingston?

Or, have you looked into diving Port Royal while you are in Kingston?

:idk:

Customer is in Kingston. So there I will be two days for work.

Flights from CLT to KIN are limited and hardly any Star Alliance members fly there. So maybe flying to Montego Bay then driving is better. Especially for diving.

I don't know hence asking.

Can you dive Port Royal?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Ok, I've managed to nail down the itinerary.

I'll be flying in on November 28th around 11am to Montego Bay. Then I am staying 29th in the Montego Bay and late evening drive to Kingston where I'll stay until 1st afternoon and drive back to Montego Bay.

This will give me Monday 28th afternoon/evening to dive and whole day on 29th in Montego Bay area. (I could drive somewhere possibly if it makes sense and move the hotel stay on 28th there just don't know much.)

Any suggestions? I would really like an evening dive on 28th.

Regular cross-island flights are back on, apparently. I forget the name of the airline/operator.
Driving takes about 3-3.5Hrs. It's not terrible, but it is a little bit of a chore. Leave early in the AM and get a good map... a very good map. Come to think of it, if you've not done it before take the Knutsford Express bus (Google it) or fly. Unless you're up for the adventure. Nothing particularly hairy, but you likely will miss a turn or two and see more scenery than you'd planned.
For diving in MoBay write to the Montego Bay Marine Park (again, Google it) and ask Brian (manager) for the name of a/the local operator or the one closest to your hotel. Most larger hotels will have an operation associated.
That or ring/write Jamaica Scuba Divers- they'll come and pick you up. Captains Watersports might this time of year as well.

Great reef structure & wall in Montego Bay & north coast, but fish (grouper, sharks, tarpon etc...) are way better on the Kingston wrecks. Port Royal requires special historical permits and on a perfect day you might get 2m viz. Need a guide just to find the cleared site, and it's only 25' from shore. And it's in the harbour, so get your shots.
Unfortunately I don't even know an operator in Kingston any more... just the clubs I mention above and a buddy who teaches privately.
A

I settled for a drive already. Don't have a choice anymore. Thank you for the info! I will be doing some calling on Wednesday as I have full schedule of work Mon/Tue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom