Kino Bay/San Carlos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasondcrawford

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm headed to Kino Bay during the 2nd week of may with some of my family and was hoping to get a day or two of diving in and wanted to get some advice from The Board.

I've only been there once, and I remember the visibility was pretty poor, and was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction? Anyone know how far San Carlos is from Kino Bay? Is the vis any better if I get out to some of the islands? Are the currents at pelican island and seal island too strong to mess with?

I posted this in the mexico forum, but it wasn't getting enough traffic so i thought i'd try here. Thanks in advance!

I have never been to kino but I would guess Kino to San Carlos 3 to 3 1/2 hours. I do not know of an island called pelican island neer SC but seal island ( San Pedro ) near SC will have better viz than the local diving around San Carlos.

Is that in Mexico? You'd get better coverage and answers in that forum.

SC is better but theTiburonIsland has some big citters depending on the time of the year

We dove Kino the end of May last year and found it to be very different than San Carlos. We were able to dive only because we brought our own cylinders, compressor and Zodiacs. As other folks mentioned there is not a dive shop there, so unless you want to drive to San Carlos there is no way to get air currently. I found the beach to be very beautiful however unless you travel to the outer islands visibility was not very good. I did however see my first turtle in 20 years of diving the Sea of Cortez! I also found that the food and hotels were not to the same standards as San Carlos, if that matters to you. With all that said I would like to return to see if the visibility gets any better.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom