knife attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Born2Dive

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, i'm gonna get a knife soon; I want a small one that is able to attach to the side flap of the BC. (Not those big ones that go around the leg.)
Question, what do i use to attach the sheath to the side flap?
Next, do i have to buy them or do they come in the package with the knife? Also, if i'm buying a non "dive knife",... where do i get these attachements?

Thanks thanks.

Cheers.:boozer:

Most small dive knives are made to attach to the straps of a BC or to the pocket and incorporate some type of screw and backplate arrangement.

All that is normally needed is to add two small holes for the screws to the strap or pocket flap. A soldering iron with a small tip works well and will prevent the nylon fabric from fraying. Just be careful not to punch or melt holes in the bladder of the BC.

Some BC's (some Genesis BC models for example) are also set up with small nylon tabs that fit into the slots on the knife sheath where the arm/leg straps are normally routed. The knife is then held in place on these tabs by double ended plastic screws.

consider putting it on your waist strap not on the inflator or strap on the BC. Impeding the functionality of the BC can lead to problems, and in the even that you are stuck, entangled etc. usually it is much easier for you or your buddy to go straight to the waist.

A knife on the waist strap or on a center pocket is also easier to access with either hand and keeps the knife away from the BC's bladder when you re-inserting it into the sheath. I would not put a knife near the inflator hose as that area is already crowded enough.

Also consider getting a knife with a blunt tip. It reduces the chance of poking a hole in the BC or something else that you do not want holed. It should also have a smooth section on one edge, a saw tooth edge on the other and a line cutter for monofilament.

Back
Top Bottom