Knife location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep my K.N.I.F.E. (Keenly Notched Implement For Entaglement) strapped to the inner calf (right) with the blade forward for right hand access. It is an Ocean Master (not Ti) so it doesn't fit well on my BC. (But it fits my hand when I wear 5mm gloves - not like those tiny Remoras :D )

Shears on my BC strap.

I usually carry two:
A knife (blunt tip, 3.5"blade) on the inside of my left calf, and EMT shears, inverted, on the right shoulder strap of the BC.
The reason for those tools and their placement: variety of cutting options, and accessability.
Mike

Left waist is a Remora,right waist is a small line cutter or shears in a pocket .On my harness is which of the 2 that's not on my right waist .Don't like anything on legs due to entanglement hazard(actually had to cut a guy out of mono with leg mount)Don't like the idea of pulling on my hoses either.

I think Stone answered it best. I guess I should have used a better term. Thanks Stone. Guess we won't talk about my Ham Radio.:)

SS 3" blunt nosed double edge: mounted in a locking sheath on left shoulder under web cushion. Great for prying and digging, nearly impossible to maintain a decent edge on, however.

TI 3" folding lockback single edge: mounted clipped on right shoulder under web cushion. Really lethal edge that won't rust but not strong enough for anything but cutting with. The folding action is a concern with gloves on.

EMT shears: in a pocket. Best yet for monofilament and gets more use than the other two combined.

All are accessible with either hand. I'm not completely happy with either the SS or the TI blade, but each has features that I really like. I'd love to find something that combines the best features of both so I can reduce the clutter.

Finally, my 30 year old Mike Nelson BFK with the screaming orange handle usually sits in my dive bag. Been known to strap it to my leg for show.

Inside left leg. I'm right handed so it's easier to reach the inside of my left leg. I also have a small backup knife on my computer hose. I don't like knives on the outside of the leg since it is easier to get it tangled up in fishing line, nets or kelp.

Scott

I keep the long pointy one on the right calf because no matter where else I put it, it just isn't comfortable or just doesn't fit well.

It's on rubber straps with "breakaway" clips so 1 hard yank and it comes off. I figure if I lose it, I'm just passing it on to another diver anyway (found it on the bottom myself...).

If I'm diving the drysuit, it has a knife shieth built into the right upper leg.

I have a new 3 inch blunt tip I just recently attached to the back of the console.

I'm looking into getting a pair of EMT shears or equivalent for a pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom