Knife needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sepandee

Contributor
Reaction score
Apart from the fact that they look awesomely sick to have on (I don't know why), is a knife needed (for ex, in Barbados)? Is it always better to have one, in case something comes up? I did notice that my instructor never carried one.

Fishing line entanglement is prob the most common reason you'd want a cutting device.

Doesnt' mean you need a huge Crocidile Dundee Dive knife though. Just get a line cutter and attach to BC.

Dive Rite makes a nice one that is compact and fixed so you can't easily cut your finger in the process of using it. You should be able to pick this one up at your LDS for about $15 bucks.

pouchzknife.jpg

Edit: apparantly for some stupid reason they won't allow posting of pics in this sub-forum. so you'll have to actually click on the link to see the pic.

I carry shears, and a small knife similar to the Remora. The Z-knife posted above is perfect for fishing line, which the shears do not work as well on. Some places do not allow knives. Both shears and a Z-knife together are an excellent way to go.

Look at the bottom of this post where it says similar threads for more information.

Get some EMT shears...i actually think that 'pig sticker' rambo knives look kinda lame on divers.

Cheers.

-J.-

pick up one like this. http://deepseasupply.com/page16.html

it is good to have somthing, just for the off chance you finge some fishing line. just rember it's not like the movies, your not going to be fighting off anything to save the girl. get a cheap knife or cutter.

i like the Betty Crocker special, it does not cost anything. the top of the web page has a link to make everything if you don't want to buy it. don't buy a good knife. just get a cheap one you will not care if you lose it. you will lose it, and it is easer to walk away from the Betty Crocker special than it is to fill yout tank and off gass so you can go back down for your $70+ Titanium Knife that looks cool but does the same as the cheap ones.

A simple little DIR knife on your belt and a pair of shears in your pocket should be all you'll ever need. Deep Outdoors makes a pair of shears with finger holes that are big enough to use with gloves on. I also add a small bungee loop to mine so that if I have to deploy it, I loop it to my wrist so that I can't drop it.

PS; That little z-knife is pretty cool. I have one but I just about never carry it.

I have lost at least half a dozen dive knifes, some were quite expensive. If I don't or can't break it I usually lose it. The other week I lost a kershaw pocket knife that I'd had for some twenty years. Sometimes when I took a knife out underwater, I might not put it back properly or the suit knife pocket or sheath was to blame, mostly I was just careless. These days I take a cheap stainless steel kitchen knife, drill a hole in the handle and cable tie a dog lead clip to it, I use a short length of garden hose as the sheath, and connect the handle and the base of the sheath together with thin bungy or thick rubber band. It clips onto a "D" ring. Taking it out and putting it back in the sheath you can see what your doing, its also no real loss if I lose it.

budgy:
I have lost at least half a dozen dive knifes, some were quite expensive. If I don't or can't break it I usually lose it. The other week I lost a kershaw pocket knife that I'd had for some twenty years. Sometimes when I took a knife out underwater, I might not put it back properly or the suit knife pocket or sheath was to blame, mostly I was just careless. These days I take a cheap stainless steel kitchen knife, drill a hole in the handle and cable tie a dog lead clip to it, I use a short length of garden hose as the sheath, and connect the handle and the base of the sheath together with thin bungy or thick rubber band. It clips onto a "D" ring. Taking it out and putting it back in the sheath you can see what your doing, its also no real loss if I lose it.

Here's an easy way to make sure that your knife always comes back up with you.

Attachments

• DSC01090.JPG
    DSC01090.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 175
Size of knife is governed by what you plan to do with it.
For "just plain diving" i'm sure any sharp knife or shears works fine. If you plan to spear fish you had better get a stiletto point knife long enough to kill the fish you hunt.

It's an extremely frustrating and possibly dangerous situation to have a fish on a shaft, stab it with a toothpick while it's going wild.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom