Knife needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on why you have them ...

I carry 3, sometimes 4 cutting tools, for cold-water wreck diving.

Why?

1. Various types of tools cut different materials better (fishing line, steel leader line, netting ... the usual fishing gear entanglement stuff; then there's old wreck reel line, electrical wiring, rope or cable, as one might encounter in a wreck).

2. In a restricted environment (a wreck, where you may not be able to turn freely, or need to hold on for a stable postion without finning and silting, and are managing reel and lights also), and where you might be further restricted by an entanglement, you also want to be able to get to several tools in different location, and with either hand. It also gives more options to get a tool to others who may be assisting.

- small Z-knife line cutter
-> right shoulder
=> light line cutting

- small BC knife (serrated edge + line cutter notch)
-> LPI hose by left shoulder
=> light lines, rope or heavier material can be sawn

- EMT shears
-> left side BD shoulder stratp at waist level.
=> steel leader line, heavier line or light rope, net, fabric,
gear straps, exposure suits (good also for rescue removal)

- SaltII Spyderco (occasionally)
-> right thigh pocket on drysuit
=> OK, this is mostly 'cause I won it on Scubaboard, and it's cool. It will
saw through anything, though.

I've used the EMT shears the most ... on the surface, trimming cable ties and straps ;-).

Cheers,
Walter

Sepandee:
I neither have much diving experience nor am I familiar with your dive sites. However, I do think that you're overdoing yourself. I may be wrong though.
I'm a heavy camper, and I do a lot of rafting, canoeing, and kayaking. I've never had to take more than 2 knives, 1 specialized knife and 1 leatherman (which actually has a couple of knives on it). Both of them are usually used for cooking purposes, fixing things, and building tools. 2 is all i've needed.
And from what I've gathered before on this forum, 1 or max 2 knives for diving are enough, usually to be used to cut fishing nets if necessary.

Sepandee:
I don't think anyone thinks that.
You may not, but a little search should turn up more than a few who indeed feel dive knives are completely unnecessary...

Sepandee:
3 knives? Geez, that seems like too many. How many times have you used them?

Three cutting tools is the minimum I'd enter the water with. I also have DAN insurance, and I've never used that either - and don't plan too - but wouldn't dive with out it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom