Knife Recommendation Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright, I stopped by an army/navy surplus store and got Swith & Wesson Search and Rescue knife. SS w/ a sheath and doomaflitchies to connect straps. A mile later I passed the dive shop i was lookin for :shakehead

patymeboy:
I want one of those flares now and an electronic shark repeller.

I still have my ScubaPro pig sticker that I got in the 70's... Darn thing is sorta like a small sword:D. I haven't used in in years now as I prefer EMT scissors in a pocket. The large ScubaPro knife went from my knee to my toes.

Where can we get one of them flares???

427Dave:
Where can we get one of them flares???
A marine survival supplier can get them. I would check with a place that inspects liferafts, etc. The military version is the mark 13 day/night flare. It has orange smoke at one end and a nighttime roman candle on the other, It is handheld and rated to around 90 feet I think. I have had them deeper than that without problems. Paine-Wessex (not sure of spelling) sells survival flares such as day/night flares and maybe easier to get than the MK13 military versions. I carry one with me on ocean dives and gives me great peace of mind.

gitmo:
Hello,

My father recently got certified. (I always knew he was certifiable) He loves knives, and can never have too many. So for Christmas Id like to get him a good dive knife. So, can someone recommend a good knife in the $40-$80 range that can be purchased over the internet (or easily found)? I really have no idea what to look for in a dive knife.

Any good knife person (that dives) will tell you that you need at least three - ok, two and Stainless steel shears. One on the BC (or dare I say it, BP/W), one on the leg - and the shears, all in different locations.

I have 4 or 5, depending on what I am wearing - from very small, to fairly big.

Puffer Fish:
Any good knife person (that dives) will tell you that you need at least three - ok, two and Stainless steel shears. One on the BC (or dare I say it, BP/W), one on the leg - and the shears, all in different locations.

I have 4 or 5, depending on what I am wearing - from very small, to fairly big.

Ok, I know the second knife on the arm is to kill the shark, that bites off the leg where the first knife was strapped. And the 3rd and 4th knives for the other appendages. Please tell me how you're going after the shark that's bitten off both legs and both arms?:rofl3:

mudhole:
Ok, I know the second knife on the arm is to kill the shark, that bites off the leg where the first knife was strapped. And the 3rd and 4th knives for the other appendages. Please tell me how you're going after the shark that's bitten off both legs and both arms?:rofl3:
Any knowledgeable knife person knows that the sharks don't attack until after you are wrapped in a fishing net, with several different types of line caught on you. And you hold the last one in your teeth.

Actually, it is really easy, if you need one, to loose it. so having one in several locations, is not a bad idea. Comes from solo diving and being prepared. I have left side, right side and leg. The small one on the belt is, well overkill, but it does not take up any room. The only big one I have is the leg one, and actually don't always wear it. Don't when diving in a spring, for example.

Ocean, and I do. I count shears as a cutting device, so that is one of them. All have line cutters built into them.

Stick with titanium. Any stainless knife will rust without care and the better ones are harder to sharpen (420ss).
As for length, point , shape - What are you using it for.
I am a spearfisherman. I use a "stiletto" point knife. A diver carrying a knife for safety may use any point. A treasure hunter, abalone diver etc will use a "blunt"point.
Any knife you choose should be large enoungh for it's intended purpose, no larger than needed and have a serrated edge for entanglement
Hopefully I have not confused you, but being in the water almost daily I have gone through a few along the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom