Recommendations for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karinzahorik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My 18 year old nephew would like to get certified for scuba, and is thinking about taking his first dive trip over Christmas break. He tried it once at a resort and loved his one and only test dive. Can anyone recommend a good choice for a beginner's first dive vacation? I think Hawaii would be pretty chilly and possibly choppy that time of year, but what about Roatan, or the Florida Keys, or? I'm a diver and am excited to take him somewhere, but don't want to make his first trip a bad experience - so I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Pompano Beach and Lauderdale by the Sea are neat. Could get in a mix of shore and boat dives. Both are newbie friendly.

If you do Florida, I’d recommend picking a couple spots to hit that are in close proximity to minimize the time wasted on the road and save some money. I.e. Base out of Pompano Beach for lodging…you’ve got some options for diving just to the north, as well.

I think the diving is better in Cozumel, but if I were 18 I’d think West End, Roatan is a great place to be.

The very first dives are exciting no matter where you go! You could very well start with some local diving, and take a dive trip only when some experience is gained. That way you would fully enjoy the environment instead of struggling with buoyancy. Hence, do book a trip, but do plan some local dives too. Any lake is great lake.

I'm also going to suggest learning local and gearing up to dive locally. Someone who learns in warm, clear tropical water will probably only ever dive there, and you can't maintain proficiency doing it a few times a year. Being able to say "You know, i feel like diving today" and then going and doing it, even if it is a muddy shore dive, is the way to go.

Hi @karinzahorik

I'm assuming you are from SF. Warm water and good visibility would be a good 1st experience.

Florida often has high seas and cooler water in the winter. Personally, I would go for Cozumel, though that may be a popular time to visit.

My first recommendation would be Bonaire or Curacao for nice easy diving and also to get the experience of both boat and shore diving.... 2nd recommendation would be Little Cayman Beach Resort.......especially if you want great vis, little to no current, and basically all inclusive so a very easy and totally relaxing trip for both of you..

I do agree with @Cthippo that it would be best to do the full OW cert locally and then the transition to warm clear tropics will be a breeze... If he's not up for that then you can do a referral and complete all of the academic and confined water work locally and then do the OW dives in the tropics.

Very cool for you as a diving uncle to be gaining a new dive buddy and having a passion that you can share with your nephew!!!

I love diving Cozumel, but the weather may be a hit or miss due to "Nortes" in December, so I would recommend either Curacao or Bonaire. Given his age, I would probable go for Curacao over Bonaire, staying closer to Willemstadt, for a greater diversity of night life activities. If you like shore diving, I highly recommend The Dive Bus in Curacao, he will find the shore dive entries/exits are a lot easier in Curacao, most being in gently sloping, sandy, sheltered coves. You can also mix/match shore dive with boat dives, but with the shore dives, you will not have to deal with any rough boat rides.

My 18 year old nephew would like to get certified for scuba, and is thinking about taking his first dive trip over Christmas break. He tried it once at a resort and loved his one and only test dive. Can anyone recommend a good choice for a beginner's first dive vacation? I think Hawaii would be pretty chilly and possibly choppy that time of year, but what about Roatan, or the Florida Keys, or? I'm a diver and am excited to take him somewhere, but don't want to make his first trip a bad experience - so I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Ft Lauderdale area. At time of the year, we have great weather in South Florida. The currents are not really strong and it’s a great place to enjoy beautiful divies, great visibility and amazing sites. You can beach dive at Lauderdale by the sea or you can take one of many boats out to one of the many wrecks (and there are several in less that 60 ft of water and also experience the Thrid Largest Barrier reef in the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom