Knife Use and Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a small knife, a line cutter, and EMT shears. Didn't think about the shears until another diver pulled 100 ft of wire fishing line leader off the wreck on my first Lake Michigan dive. His shears were the only thing that cut it. Line cutter didn't put a dent in it.

A trilobite won't cut rope and depending on its size, shears may not work either. It depends on what you run into, or are doing, whether you need a knife and what size it needs to be. A large knife has gotten me quite a number of rock scallops over time. Came in handy as a hammer a number of times as well.

I have carried my Healthways 7" blade BFK since early in my diving so I'm going to keep on carrying. If I left it home I might wind up swimming in circles due to the loss of weight on one calf. Now I also always carry a trilobite and shears. Occasionally I also carry a small very sharp knife. After that, don't ask, don't tell.

Take what you feel is appropriate for the dive, and you know how to use effectively.

Bob

I currently have a ceramic trilobite type cutter, Spyderco folding knife, and EMT shears mounted in places that I can easily reach them and a small Scubapro X-cut titanium knife in the bottom of a pocket...because it was issued, and it takes up basically no room. If it was bulky, it would stay in my bag with my 30 year old BFK as a spare. I will never have to wrestle a shark, but I might get in a fight with a snappin turtle one day. :wink:

...I forgot to say: here in Queensland, a cutting tool is mandatory.
No knife no dive.

I have line cutters, shears, etc. in different place available when I dive because there are lots of abandoned fishing lines, nets, etc. where I dive now. I have used BIG manly size knives in the past (wore them on the inside of my left leg) and used them to hold myself in place or crawl on the bottom when I was caught in currents when I dove in RI. I don't use these big knives anymore since they aren't necessary or useful where I am diving now.

I find the XS Scuba mini-fog cutter very useful and I use it the most when diving now.
Mini FogCutter Knife

A number of places won't let you dive with a knife (such as marine reserves) - they will let you have other cutting tools though.

Think about the hazards and pick your "weapon" accordingly.

Everything we use in diving is a tool. Use the appropriate tool for the job. I use a 5" pointy knife when I am doing spearo dives and when I am in caves that knife stays in the dive bag. I always have linecutters and shears though..

Back
Top Bottom