knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

My friend - a "Big White Hunter from the City" , as i call him :), was really surprised to hear, that we are going into such alien world w/o even a knife. After long debate and a couple of shots of tea later, we agreed, that it will make sense to carry at least a knife.
After long introduction, i'm finally close to the question :dazzler1: // drum-roll, please ,

what knife do you carry, why this one and if you were on the market again would you buy same again or will get another?

// I don't think i'll be using it to protect/attack/dig from/out sea creatures, but more like cutting lines etc. Please tell me if i'm mistaken....

thank you.

Get or make a small sharp knife for cutting line, held in a scabbard that is easily accessible but not itself an entanglement hazzard (ie, not on arm or leg) and EMT shears for cutting SS wire fishing leader, ect. if you dive in an area where that is a problem.

[
hmm, so you don't think i should go for smth like T-REX ?

You need the proper tool for the job. If all you are likely to encounter is mono or cave line, a cute little blade will do nicely. If you will likely have to cut rope or other thick substance you will probably "feel better" carrying a larger blade.

Above all else though the knife needs to be sharp. Don't waste your time and $ on a blade that advertises itself as a wonder metal that never rusts and never needs to be sharpened. By a good basic knife made from quality steel, maintain it well and sharpen in when it needs to be sharpened and you'll be happy.

I got T-Rex for my better half ( the stainless steel version ) and 11 inch total length ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29577&item=7125064551&rd=1 like this yellow one ).
Trex is very sexy :) and Olga likes it. It's a bit difficult for her to pull it out of the shell - i guess, i might exchange it to the one with squeeze lock ( i'm thinking of venoka ones ).
Mine is OK for me. bit bulky i think. But good handle. i'm Ok with it.
thank you.

Back
Top Bottom