Knifing Halibut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knifing halibut in california is a legitimate way to hunt them. Its been done for many many years. Its almost exclusivly done at night and it is very easy to do. the halibut do not move at night and you can almost touch one without spooking it. Daytime is much much harder. Just use any old dive knife and pin it down in the sand. Its kind of like noodling catfish...sounds crazy but is actually quite common and effective...for what ever its worth.

I live in CA and have knifed a few myself. Have also been on diving lobster party boats where people have knifed them as well. Being on a party boat, I was happy no one was out there with a spear gun! I've always got them at night... like the previous person said, they don't move. The hard part is finding them.... next just be 100% sure it's well above the legal size. Obviously once you knife one, you wont be able to measure and release unharmed... not like grabbing bugs. Dont forget that things appear bigger down there.... if you see one, and it's questionable.... then MOVE ON! 22" is legal... but I wont go for one unless it looks BIG... like 3-3.5 feet.

Also as soon as you stab and pin it to the sand, it will start flailing around and kick up a ton of sand. You will not be able to see anything and you will likely drop your light too. So it's always good if you have a buddy there to help you by shinning their light.

I have also heard that after stabbing one, if you stick your finger into the gills it will drown the fish within a few seconds.

As soon as you get one... you dive will likely be over......... it's no fun to be swimming around looking for bugs with a 3 ft sail in you game bag. Happy hunting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom