Knives for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I'm new to diving (9 dives so far) and have yet to take PADI Advance Open Water.

Grateful for peoples views on knives - are they considered essential?

I don't want to buy one if not really necessary (and maybe feel a little selfconscious carrying one as a new diver).

But if so, could anyone recommend a good quality, but basic/cheap one?

Many thanks,

Paul

I carry one of these to cut fishing line or to cut my harness if I need an emergency escape. Don't get one of those large, leg-strapped monsters.

EezyCut | emergency cutting tools

I carry one of these to cut fishing line or to cut my harness if I need an emergency escape. Don't get one of those large, leg-strapped monsters.

EezyCut | emergency cutting tools

I carry one of those, and also a pair of EMS shears. Between the two of these, you should safely be able to get yourself out of any entanglement (which is the main reason for carrying a cutting tool). More of an issue in places where there may be fishing line or other entangling stuff, but I don't dive without them.

Haven't carried a knife in many years. Really not the best tool for the job, and potentially dangerous.

M

Aside from specialty use, it appears the "big old knife" has gone the way of specialized tools (thankfully).

I carry a Trilobyte, sometimes shears, sometimes a cold water hook, sometimes a small knife...

Trilobite, shears, and Dalton safety knife (see Betty Crocker Knife). Of course I do mostly fresh water. Ocean diving you kinda need a big pig sticker if a shark shows up. So you can stab your buddy and while the shark is busy with them you get away safe.

Knives are almost never used by divers whilst underwater, and I doubt mine has been out of the sheath in 200 dives or so. You will find a cheap EMT surgical scissors to be much more useful.
Many people take something like a cheap kitchen steak knife, cut the pointed end off, and fabricate some kind of holder. The scalloped edge is good for cutting cord, line, and such.

Knives are almost never used by divers whilst underwater, and I doubt mine has been out of the sheath in 200 dives or so. You will find a cheap EMT surgical scissors to be much more useful.
Many people take something like a cheap kitchen steak knife, cut the pointed end off, and fabricate some kind of holder. The scalloped edge is good for cutting cord, line, and such.

Amen!

Here you go: Hogarthian Cutting Tools - Dive Gear Express

$29 gets you the shears, the knife and the sheath. Have used this for years, the shears stay put, and are easy to pull when you need them.

M

Hello,

Grateful for peoples views on knives - are they considered essential?

I don't want to buy one if not really necessary (and maybe feel a little selfconscious carrying one as a new diver).

Paul

Essential? Depends upon what kind of diving you plan on doing.

Self conscious? Only if you buy one o those monsters that you strap to your leg.

If your dive plan includes sites that combine active fisherman and/or lots of fishing
leftovers (line, nets, etc) then some form of cutting tool will be essential. So consider both knives and or shears.

As a vacation diver my buddy and I have very small knives that tuck away in our bc's (mine is mounted on my bc shoulder strap). The last (only!) time I had to use it was to cut up the pineapple during a surface interval. I think I also used it as a screwdriver once.

The only downside to having a dive knife is that you can not carry it on a plane. So my BC always goes in checked luggage. Not an issue for me, but a consideration for some dive travelers who want to carry on all their gear.

Back
Top Bottom