Know anything about Seacamp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I'm a teen diver, 17, who's almost finished with Rescue, and I'm pursing a carreer possibly in Marine Biology focusing on Reef ecology/ invertabrate zoology. I did a broadreach camp last year and loved it, and am looking at the Seacamp program in the Keys, anyone have any opinions about it? Any teen divers interested in going?

I went when I was in middle school actually
I loved it.
we got to swim with these little bonnethead sharks they had there and do a bunch of snorkeling and I learned a lot

cool, thanks for sharing. I talked with a rep there and it doesn't seem like there is as much scuba as I was hoping, but some of their marine science courses look neat

My daughter was there a couple of summers ago and loved it. She's a master diver with over 200 logged dives and is an avid diver. She did quite a bit of diving while she was there but also had a great time with the other activities. If you want, PM me and I'll give you our phone number and her email address so you can talk to her directly.

our group wasn't certified so we just did a bunch of snorkeling
we were only there for a weekend but we all really enjoyed it

One of the divers from Ohio is an instructor at Seacamp. Her degree is in marine biology and she is/was part way to getting her PHD. She was telling us all about it a couple weekends ago and it sounds like a wonderful program / experience.

She's currently not online as she helping crew a boat from Northern California to Southern, diving along the way. Tough job, eh? Her name is Polly and her board ID is scubapolly. Last I heard she thought she'd be back sometime this weekend. You'll probably want to Private Message her to make sure she sees the thread.

Paula

HI,

I went to SeaCamp in Middle School as well (This was the late 80's). I was a fantastic opportunity and one that I hope to be able to have my daughter experience someday. I would not pass it up. We snorkeled on the reef. I saw a nurse shark at the bottom of a huge coral head. We also snorkeled the Mangroves and saw some big Barracuda there as well.

I don't know if you still can do this, but they had a pond with sharks and you could swim with them. It was very cool. We also had classes on Marine Biology and Ecology in the evenings.

It was a blast. Definitely check it out. I forget who, but one of the posters on here is a instructor there during the summers if you can find her get in touch.

yea I swam with the sharks!
we didn't snorkel the mangroves tho
we waded over to them with our shoes on and sorta swam around.
too silty after that to see any barracudas

Thanks everyone! I'll definitly PM you Debersole and thanks Paula, I'll PM scubapolly. I've seen their website, it looks great. I don't know if anything will ever compare to the Broadreach programs at Gobroadreach.com Yes it's a different kind of program, but the Broadreach programs are incrediable and I would urge any teen to check them out, the timing just won't work this summer. Thanks you guys, anyone else have anything to share?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom