Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

an13743

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I haven't been able to find a relatively recent thread on this so I will as again...

I am traveling to Thailand and looking to do some diving on either Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta. If diving were taken out of the equation, I would probably just go to Ko Lanta as Ko Phi Phi seems to be more touristy than I would like, but I am willing to go to Phi Phi if the diving is significantly better. I have looked into LOBs, but I don't want to do one this trip, I just want to get a few dives in while I am on this side of the world (I am coming from the US). I am looking to do 4-8 dives.

I am an experienced diver with 150+ dives, but all in the Caribbean. I am definitely a warm water diver. I won't have my own gear with me nor will I have a buddy. Although I am a confident diver, this will be my first time diving without my partner. I prefer longer shallower dives. I don't have a preference between drift dives or not.

That being said, I am also looking for dive shop recommendations or advice about where to stay on either island. Appreciate any help.

I can recommend sea bees diving (Koh lak and Phuket) not sure about Phi phi or Koh lanta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We stayed and dived with Scubafish on Ko Lanta. As you say this island is far nicer than Phi Phi.From Ko Lanta we dived the sites just off Phi Phi...which were very damaged from over diving and a coral bleaching in 2010.From Ko Lanta you can get to Him Muang which is a wonderful site with a Manga Cleaning station. there are many accommodation options in the village where Scubafish is based...Kantiang.

Have a great trip

We're off to Koh Lanta for our second visit...staying at Narima Bungalows and diving with Scubafish (Koh Haa, Koh Rok, Phi Phi, Hin Muang and Hin Daeng). Highly recommend both!

Good to hear the diving infrastructure on Koh Lanta has improved since I was there in 2001. I enjoyed both Lanta and Phi Phi, but the diving infrastructure was far better on Phi Phi back then.

Many of the sites commonly dived from either location overlap. For example, Lanta based operators regularly go to Phi Phi. Lanta is a bit farther south with better access to Hin Muang and Hin Daeng but they are still long boat rides. I'd go with the island that better appeals topside.

My personal point of view: Koh Lanta, no doubt! Koh Lanta offers access to the very nice dive sites at Koh Haa (about 1 hour away by boat). And Hin Daeng and Hin Muang a bit further away.
Unless you want the party scene at Phi Phi, I wouldn't recommend it. Lanta is more relaxed and accommodation better value.
All that said, if diving is your main goal I would recommend a liveaboard trip over either island. Many advantages, one of them being that you get to know your dive buddy.
Have a great trip!
Mikkel

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

If you think Phi Phi is too touristy, go to Koh Lanta. You'll have more or less the same divesites available, and are closer to Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Koh Haa. Shark Point area is really far and not always available, Phi Phi divesites will be further than from Phi Phi, but availability of other sites makes up for that.

Have fun.

Agreed with all above comments, Phi Phi is a more party place and touristy, sites on Phi Phi can be reached but you have Koh Haa and the pinnacles of Hin Daeng and Muang as options too. All dive centers will provide a guide for you normally in groups of no more than 4, you will be allocated a buddy for the dives. Happy Diving

My wife and I spent a week on Koh Lanta a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. We did a couple of very nice day trips from there.

Koh Ha has become one of my favorite dive sites. IMHO, the South Andaman now offers some of the best diving in Thailand. Less jammed than the Similans and the the marine life seems to be in better shape. The beauty can be stunning, both above and below the surface.

Some recent photos and a short video here: Out and About Thailand: South Andaman Diving - October 2014

(Granted, I'm not the best photographer around, but it does give you some idea….)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom