Ko Samui / Phi Phi recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hen

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for advise to pass onto my sister and partner who are going out to Thailand end of October for 2 weeks and wanting to do the PADI Open Water referral course (i.e will do theory / confined dives in UK).
They are planning to visit Ko Samui and Phi Phi and so I am looking for recommendations for dive centres in these areas and also which would be best weather wise?
Thanks for your help.

That is tricky, I've dove PP and Similans Surin in both early November and mid December. The early November was very poor most of the time (the exception being Hin Maueng/Daeng two days, vis was great, last days there). But, my liveaboard out to Similans/Surin that time wasn't very good at all. Point being, the rainy season can end early (October) or linger late and that is going to determine how good Andaman diving is going to be.

I've dove with several operators, I liked White and Blue the best (off the main path in PP, close to the docks), and AOWed with them. That instructor has since left Thailand. To this day he is the best instructor/DM I have ever gone out with.

Moskito has one of the best reps (I haven't gone out with them). I've also dove with the huge outfit right on the main drag, large bright yellow store front. I had some great dives with them and very professional dive masters. But, things on PP change (I was last there in the fall of 01).

Hen:
Hi,
I'm looking for advise to pass onto my sister and partner who are going out to Thailand end of October for 2 weeks and wanting to do the PADI Open Water referral course (i.e will do theory / confined dives in UK).
They are planning to visit Ko Samui and Phi Phi and so I am looking for recommendations for dive centres in these areas and also which would be best weather wise?
Thanks for your help.

I haven't been to Phi Phi, however I have been to Samui, and this is not the greatest place to go unless you are just catching a flight there, and then moving on. Samui is particular Chaweng beach (main beach) is a freaking sex tourist type place at night, and a in your face sales store in the day. I chose to go to Koh Tao for my open water course, based on a recommenation from a fellow traveler. I don't have particulars about what visibility is usually like in October, however I know that if you send an email to the dive shop I went with they will reply back to you and give you some honest feedback. This is there link http://www.taatohdivers.com/

Hope this Helps.

mattiedread:
Moskito has one of the best reps (I haven't gone out with them). I've also dove with the huge outfit right on the main drag, large bright yellow store front. I had some great dives with them and very professional dive masters. But, things on PP change (I was last there in the fall of 01).

These guys are great. I did my DM with them. They have the best boats on the island and are very professional. Select a shop with care. All the prices are the same which means you pay the same price with a large modern boat as you do for a longtail (a fisherman's 10 footer). Most longtails don't have radio or O2.

baumga2c:
I haven't been to Phi Phi, however I have been to Samui, and this is not the greatest place to go unless you are just catching a flight there, and then moving on. Samui is particular Chaweng beach (main beach) is a freaking sex tourist type place at night, and a in your face sales store in the day. I chose to go to Koh Tao for my open water course, based on a recommenation from a fellow traveler. I don't have particulars about what visibility is usually like in October, however I know that if you send an email to the dive shop I went with they will reply back to you and give you some honest feedback. This is there link http://www.taatohdivers.com/

Hope this Helps.
To add to this, there are only a few dive sites near Koh Samui. The dive boats there mostly take divers to Koh Tao. The diving is cheaper on Tao and the boat rides are much shorter.

Again, choose with caution here. Some of the shops are large diver factories. With others you'll get a more personal experience. I dived with one of the factories there so I don't really have a good recommendation for Koh Tao. The diving doesn't really compare with PP. There are a lot of sharks though so you've got a great opportunity to see some big animals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom