Koh Lanta Pimalai Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Watboy. Issues like this should be spoken about personally not on a forum like this.

The Dive Industry, worldwide, is usually a close-knit and happy community and we want to try and keep it that way.

I disagree, everyone has the right to their opinion and to be able to voice such freely. I for one have had numerous bad experiences whilst diving in Thailand and by reporting about them hope that I have prevented others from recieving the same. As has been mentioned by someone recently on the thai forums they are not here exclusively for the use of dive professionals to complement each other on the 'excelent' service they are providing. It may come as a surprise or even an inconvenience to some but customers and staff alike also have opinions!

Doesn't mean a thing h90, my Thai mother in law hasn't driven a bike in her life, she needs her children to bring her around.

The last time I was in Koh Chang, one of the government officials there told me that, "the busiest place in Koh Chang is the hospital... treating foreigners with serious motorcycle accidents."

The same is true all over Thailand, and they don't joking call a scar from a motorcycle accident a "Thai tattoo" because it is safe to drive here.

This is getting way off topic; but I wanted to chime in to say that if the OP does not want to drive a motorbike in Thailand, for whatever reason, it is their right, and that has nothing to do at all, with scuba instruction. There is nothing wrong with being concerned about personal safety and, in fact, this is a nice compliment to scuba instruction.

What should have happened, in the sad story of this thread, is that the employer should have told the prospective employees about the requirement to ride a motorcycle before agreeing to hire the new instructors. Basically, this story is a sad case of miscommunications; and hopefully everyone has learned a lesson.

Personally, I drive a car in most places and I don't think that makes me a bad person because I prefer to be safer, out of the harsh weather, and with a layer of metal between me and potential accidents. The problem is not "me" or "us"... I grew up riding motorcross as a dirt bike rider and am very confident in my skills; the problem as people find out, time and time, is "the other person" who runs a red light, had a bit too much to drink, or simply is swerving in and out of traffic and hits a motorcycle rider.

Personally, I know a number of good people killed in Thailand riding a motorcycle, and just about everyone who rides one here does have a somewhat serious accident at some point in time. It happens all the time, every day.

It is a matter of personal choice to ride one or not to ride one, and I respect the OP's choice and hope they find suitable employment that meets their requirement not to ride one.

I've worked in Thailand 4 seasons and still refuse to ride a bike. It's sometimes a logistical challenge, but I've managed so far. Having said that, I've always made sure to mention it when I talk to companies about work - because it's standard in Thailand to ride a bike.

In this business as in all other businesses some employers and employees are a great match while others just don't "click". I've moved across the world, 12 hours time difference for a job - only to find out on my second or third day that I didn't like it there. As an employer I have also hired staff that seemed great on paper - and probably were great - but who didn't fit in with the team. It's very difficult to tell by emails or even phone conversations.

If a job isn't right for you, you have the right to leave. If an employee is not right for a company, the company has the right to ask the employee to leave - obviously respecting laws, regulations and any agreements made.

In this case we have an employer and a potential employee who have a different view on the agreements made. What right do we have to judge them? We have no idea what was agreed and from my point-of-view it's none of our business. I'm sure that some of the people I've fired hold a grudge against me and don't tell any nice stories about me (I haven't fired that many, don't worry) - in every case I had valid reasons, but I don't think such discussions should be held in public. Do we get involved when the guy at the petrol station gets fired? At the end of the day the dive industry is a business, not a charity. People pay dive operators to get the product they expect, or more. We're very generous with our employees, but no matter how nice we are, nobody would dive with us if our product isn't good. Equally, if we didn't run our business well, we'd go bankrupt. So surely nobody has a problem with us running our companies as a business? And part of business is hiring the right staff for the right job at the right time. Do we have to defend those decisions on internet fora, should the hiring/firing process be made public?

Badmouthing people or companies in public is generally not a good idea - it makes both parties look dubious. And I appreciate the comments that it's good to learn whether a company has high or low moral standards, but it's impossible to know from one example. Like I said: some people will say that we're unfair and others say we're the best employer they've ever had.

Oeps, got a bit carried away here :wink: I'm glad there was a happy ending for everyone in this case

Cheers
Karin

1st post and just registered? hmmm I'm sure we're all thinking the same thing.

hot fudge sunday?
All of us?

mmmm.....

Hey, I live here, too, and I have nothing really interesting to say at all....
other than......

one thing ALL shops need to do a better job of is giving a realistic depiction of the work environment/expectations/living standards.

And ALL prospective employees need to offer more transparent CVs with realistic depictions of strengths/weaknesses and job expectations.

But then.... I guess no one would apply and no one would get hired.
So sod that, and go back to the old way of broken promises and broken mirror applications.

See. I really had nothing to say. I just want some ice cream.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom