Komodo and current in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob,
Thanks for the info. So, I am safe to assume that the places the dive guides take us to that we won't be fighting currents? Yes. I heard about the Carpe Vita. I was very happy with the Carp Diem. The only thing I had an issue with was the air conditioning in the cabins. It was
a little warm in the cabins. They need to figure out something with that. Whom did you dive with in Komodo? I am thinking of booking with the
Komodo Dancer (the Dancerfleet).

Mike

We did not use reef hooks in Komodo ... which we did in the Maldives. It was rare in Komodo that I ever felt the urge to hang onto something if I wanted to stop for a picture, and even more rare that I succumbed to the urge ... Komodo doesn't usually offer the ability to grab ahold of a rock like you commonly can do in the Maldives. Many divers used little aluminum poles to steady themselves in current for a picture, but most didn't even do that.

Unlike the Maldives, the guides do not seek out high current areas in search of pelagics ... the things you'll want most to see in Komodo are typically smaller creatures nestled in among soft corals and gorgonians, and they'll select sites and times that allow you the ability to see them. When they take you into strong current, they'll do so either as a drift dive or by choosing sites where you can shelter out of the current for the majority of the dive.

Just listen to the dive briefings and do what they tell you and you'll have a really ... really ... good diving experience.

BTW - in the Maldives I was on the Carpe Diem's sister-ship ... the Carpe Vita. If your experience was anything like mine, you made an excellent choice. I was very impressed with both the boat and the operation.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom