Komodo/Lembeh Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fowlplay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am working on planning our first trip to Indonesia and would like some input from previous travelers to the region.

Looking at a Komodo/Lembeh combination. Thinking of going to Lembeh first. Lembeh Resort seems to be preferred here, although KBR seems to have better ratings on TripAdvisor.

As far as Komodo goes, looking at the Komodo Dancer. Am looking for information as to which trip is best, the 10 day all around Komodo or the 7 day Bali/Komodo.

Also, probably spend a few days in Bali sometime during the trip, not necessarily diving, although I would love to see a Mola Mola.

Am looking at planning this trip in September, 2012.

Any input?

We have been on the Komodo Dancer and we LOVED that boat! Great diving and service. Also, Gary Bevans the cruise director is a hoot! He is VERY funny and he knows those waters like the back of his hand. We just got back from spending some time at KBR. We also love KBR!!! It was our 3rd visit and it was once again fabulous! We saw a lot of stuff right on the house reef and the service is fantastic. They have a great spa that offers many services ! The dive operations manager, Kaj, is perfect for the job and gives video presentations of the many critters and their behaviors! It was very cool. You can not go wrong with either of these operations. Have fun!!!

Nice combo, muck and reef. I think Lembeh will ruin you for the 2-3 muck dives you will do on the Komodo Dancer, lol. We enjoyed the Komodo Dancer and Lembeh resort. Plan on going back to both, eventually. I would do 10 days on the Komodo Dancer. There are trip reports, Multimedia shows and galleries for both at our website: Aquablue Dreams. Y

Bali to Komodo requires 2 nights cruising, with diving during the day. Some boats leave from Bali (usually 10 day itinerary) while others depart from Bima or Sape (7 day trip) which is much closer to Komodo. Either way you'll be traveling via Bali. I'd opt for the 10 day cruise. Rather be diving than playing airport. Several good resorts in Lembeh area, most receiving excellent reviews, but I usually stay at Lembeh Resort. Hope you like climbing stairs :D

P.S. For Komodo take a reef hook, inflatable sausage & sonic alert. You WILL be diving in current.

I've been to Lembeh Resort 4 times and headed my 5th time in 4 years this October. I like the dive operation, meals, rooms, staff etc. I have a few trip reports posted that talks about the resort....you will love the diving at Lembeh!

Thanks for the info. Looks like I am on the right track. Any comments about September? Weather ok then? Any recommendations on a travel agent who specializes in Indonesia?

I've been to Bali and East Timor in Sept and had great weather. Been to Lembeh and Raja in Oct and will be again this year and weather was great!

Regarding TA's I do not use them anymore as when they screw up they do not want to be responsible for their actions....I book everything thru the resort(s). But I have heard DiveDiscovery.com is good.

Hi, If you want to see big animals I would recommend that you go to Komodo during a Full Moon or a New Moon, you get the strongest currents at these times and you are just about guaranteed to see big marine life. Take an SMB, & good torch.

I've been to both Lembeh Resort and KBR w/in the last year. Both are great and Lembeh diving is of course spectacular, unless you're not interested in Macro/photo. Kerri and Hergen run the dive shop at LR and they are awesome you would have a good time. Kaj at KBR is the same, you can't go wrong there as well. Almost a coin flip between the two. If there is a difference I think the villas (if you get one high on the hill, but you need to walk up some stairs) at Lembeh Resort are nicer than KBR bungalows, but the food at KBR is significantly better. If you're into photography I would go with LR since they have a better photo instruction workshop setup with Steve Fish. Andi at LR is also a rock star guide if you can dive with him. I thought the pool/spa area at KBR is a little nicer than the LR resort pool.

"Thanks for the info. Looks like I am on the right track. Any comments about September? Weather ok then? Any recommendations on a travel agent who specializes in Indonesia?"

Hi Fowl Play-September is great both in Komodo and Lembeh! For Komodo, I definitely recommend a cruise that does not involve Bali-Bali. You lose too much fantastic diving by adding all those extra miles to the trip! Try to do one that is Bima-Bima, or Labuan Bajo-Bima, or a combination of those. You can fly daily from Bali to Manado, and it's a short 1.5 hr drive to the Lembeh side from the airport.
You can't go wrong with Lembeh Resort!
Cheers, and happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom