Komodo or Palau Liveaboard over Xmas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...'only' $ 6000......and there's still a 'cabin tax' ...and a 'dive tax'....*** ??? !!! ...guess they didn't get the memo about that little global recession/depression thingy ....... they really need to get a grip ! :shakehead:
:rofl3: Yeah, kind of pricey, but it is a two-week trip.

that's probably about right for 2 weeks on a liveaboard there. My hubby and I spent about $4000 each including the airfare for only 1 week on a less luxurious boat. Expensive, yes, but that is the way it is for a luxury liveaboard with all meals, private room with bath, diving, and dive guides.

Lucky you!

Having been to both, I'd go back to Komodo in a heartbeat.

In Palau, I did the EcoExplorer. I think her refitted sister ship the Big Blue Explorer is there now instead. They are much less expensive than the Aggressor or Ocean Hunters but I still had a great experience and Asian style BBQ every night. The company seems to operate out of the Philippines and the crew were fantastic. My impression was that most liveaboards moor or stay near in German Channel most of the week and maybe make a trip to Ulong/Peleliu at one point. It was my first time to the Pacific. The diving was fantastic and there were, as advertised, so many sharks at times I didn't know where to look. Blue Corner, Ulong Channel, and Peleliu are amazing for the sheer quantity of fish and pelagics. There is some current and it was mostly drift diving with the chase boat trailing. Definitely glad to have had experience with current before making this trip. Palau is quiet, despite associations with the US (USD and English widely used) most tourists seemed to be from Asia (esp. Japan and Korea, no surprise given history and proximity) or Europe. Palau is quiet with lots of history and I enjoyed talking with native Palauans in the evenings on either side of the trip.

In Komodo, I did the Mona Lisa, out of Labuan Bajo and ending in Bali. There are lots and lots of liveaboards to fit all budgets in Komodo and there are plenty of budget options. You need to be a little cautious as some of them looked as though the divers might not enjoy the experience. I would have gone with Grand Komodo but it didn't look like the dates would work out. Because of the currents, you will get the most out of the trip with DM and captains who really know the area who mostly work for the companies who operate in Komodo year round. Some ships come from Raja Ampat or other countries in Asia, but I am biased for the Komodo-based operations which work do a lot of work to protect the marine park and sustainable tourism. You could ask around about the good dive ops or work with a local agent in Indo as there as there are a lot of ships which do mostly full charters but might have a slot or two. The crew were Indonesian but the DM's from Europe or the US.

I also recommend against the trips which have to travel to or from Bali as the best diving is in the heart of the part and going to Bali just means you spend fewer days where the best diving is. Many areas outside (and inside) the park have been have been bombed with dynamite esp. on the route to Bali. YMMV, but we dove from a tender which did follow during the drift dive. Water was much colder and currents very tricky, but I don't know if I will ever see that kind of diversity and quantity of marine life ever again. I didn't get to dive the south, but one dive on Castle Rock made the whole trip worth it. The fish were so thick I could not see through them -- until the dolphins came. There really isn't much in Labuan Bajo (and I didn't spend much time there), but there are plenty of regular flights to/from Bali. Indonesia was definitely cheaper than Palau.

Either way, you will have a fantastic trip. Good luck with your decision!

Karl, I love my country and proud of it as it has magnificent dive sites in between its 17,500 islands. But, December not the best time to explore Komodo.

That's is the same reason why most liveaboards operates in Komodo move to Thailand or Raja Ampat during that period.

If you choose to visit Komodo on July - October, there are some Liveaboards on the list that I can suggest you such as: SY Siren, Mermaid I & II, Damai, Grand Komodo, SMY Ondina & many more. Some "budget" Liveaboards do arrange good diving.

Karl

i just booked to do Komodo Dancer at the end of May. I'll post a trip report when i get back. It will be a different season to when you are thinking of going, but i may be able to share some useful info with you, if its not too late by then.

Cheers

John

You both realize, don't you, that the original post was back in Oct. 2009 and Karl already went on his trip (wherever that was) back in December?

Back
Top Bottom