Komodo or Sulawesi liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GusSmed

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been looking at possible dive trips to Bali, Komodo, or Sulawesi. I'm particularly focused on macro photography, though I have a 10-22mm lens and dome as well. I want a trip where I'm doing 4 dives a day typically, so I've been looking at live aboards, since the shore operations I've seen all seem to assume 2-3 dives per day at most.

Boats like the Paradise Dancer are attractive, but I'm suffering from a bit of sticker shock from the price. $430 per night! I can afford that, but I'm seeing prices from boats like the MY Liburan or the MV Tarata at more like $200 per night covering the same region. On the other hand, I'm having a hard time finding trip reports from the less expensive vessels.

Things I'm looking for in a live-aboard:

* Camera friendly (i.e. work tables, soak tanks)

* Photography-friendly diving. I've been with operations where the dive master herds the group around, which can be a problem if I'm taking time with a particular photograph. A few reports I've read from the region indicate some boats are pretty rigid. I'm aware that a good guide can be important for spotting the smaller critters, though.

* Nitrox. Not an absolute requirement.

* Reasonably organized and pleasant crew. Again, I've read a couple of negative trip reports about specific dive operations.

- Gus

Hi Gus,

The higher price on Paradise Dancer is definately worth it but MY Liburan does offer excellent value for money.

MY Liburan has good facilities for photographers - camera tables and rinse tanks. She also has Nitrox available at an extra charge. Three dive guides to a maximum of 14 divers makes the groups small and gives lots of personal attention. Safety is top priority also.

I hope this helps a bit.

The higher price on Paradise Dancer is definately worth it but MY Liburan does offer excellent value for money.

Could you clarify that? What would you say about the Paradise Dancer is worth the extra $2500 or so for an 11 day cruise? I'm trying to make as informed a decision as I can, rather than just decide purely on what's cheapest.

I did see on the Liburan's site that they have camera tables, I was just hoping for someone who could relate their experience on the boat.

- Gus

I have been on the Paradise Dancer 2x. ( The original prices were a lot less than they are now.) It is a wonderful dive boat and the crew is fantastic! The rooms are huge and beautiful and Wendy, the director of operations, is amazing. The dive crew have keen eyes and always seem to spot cool stuff. The camera room , while not huge, has plenty of room to work in. There are a lot of "special touches" in service that you enjoy while on that boat. You might not always get 4 dives a day. We got 3 sometimes because of the boat moving but for the most part 4 are offered.
I have also been on the Komodo Dancer and loved every second of our journey. Gary B. is the cruise director and he is an amazing diver and quite a character. You can not go wrong on that trip either.
PM me with any questions and I can also offer some other suggestions.

:0)

If you are interested in macro photography, land based diving at Lembeh, North Sulawesi, will be a better value than going off a live-aboard. When the big live-boards are at Lembeh they just anchor in the strait. Then you transfer to a tender for diving. Big liveaboards present no advantage over land based diving in Lembeh. Land based rooms will be much larger for much less money.

Most dive sites are just a few minutes from a number of land based resorts. You have a full range of resorts in terms of price and amenities and location. If you check with the resort that meets your needs, I am sure they can accommodate your desire to do a lot of dives.

It is not necessary to spend a lot of money in North Sulawesi. Three years ago I did a four week trip to Bunaken and Lembeh did about 54 dives. The total cost including dive guide and staff tips, transfers, diving, room and board and airfare on Singapore/Silkair round trip from Los Angeles was less than US $3000.

For Lembeh the resorts r better value 4 your money and most are only very short boat rides away from the dive sites.
If your into photography then have a look at NAD. It is a resort run by 2 very experienced photographers, Mike & Simon, who are normally very happy to share their secrets ( photography secrets ). It is not the most luxurious resort in the area but they understand what photographers need and make sure it is catered for. The resort is located smack bang in the middle of the strait.

Gus,

First, I agree with Alan.
For diving in Komodo, you definitely will need liveaboard, while for Bali & North Sulawesi not necessarily as all the dive sites can be reachable from land basis. Besides, most operators in this area can assist you if you want to do 4 dives/day. At least my company did. We even can provide you with private dive master if you requested.

Macro photography? Absolutely Lembeh - the critters heaven. I can understand your budget consideration, especially if you travel without buddy. This will cause the room charge doubled. If you do not mind living in basic accommodation but great service for UW photographer, I would like to suggest : Lembeh Dive Lodge or NAD Lembeh.

Lembeh Dive Lodge well known for its wonderful individual service that even allowed 1 diver to have one boat!! While at NAD there are 2 professional UW photographers managing the resort; so no doubt they are there to assist you :)

MV Nusatara - sister's of MV Tarata is a little bit cheaper. It's only USD 190/night. Let me know if you want to book her, as I might can offer you free ticket to Labuan Bajo from Denpasar - Bali. Labuan Bajo is where most Liveaboards that operate in Komodo dock.

We agree with those saying if you want to shoot primarily Macro you should look at Lembeh as Komodo is beest as a wide angle destination.
It is very easy to dive 3 to 4 dives a day landbased from there and most of the operators know how to cater to photographers.
Would suggest you spend a few days over in the Bunaken area besides Lembeh as to take advantage of some beautiful wall diving while still being able to find some keen critter subjects as well.
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask:D

Komodo is actually really fantastic for macro too. Horseshoe bay can really compete with Lembeth. You will find there an insane number of nudis, along with rare critters such as lacy scorpionfish,blue ringed octopus, frogfishes etc... Komodo offers the best of both worlds.
When are you planning to go?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom