Komodo or Sulawesi liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I'm primarily focused on macro, that's not all I want to photograph. My wife has indicated that she's not thrilled with the idea of diving Lembeth exclusively, due to the lack of coral (she's not a photographer). One thing I liked about the itineraries I for the Paradise Dancer and MY Liburan is that they cover Lembeh but also visit other sites. Not that I'm particularly wedded to Lembeh, I had just heard they have very good macro there.

I'm flexible as to dates, but no earlier than May due to obligations in April.

- Gus

If you are looking at a quality boat with really some of the best dive guides (eagle eyes!) you should check out: Dive Damai. Not cheap, but only 3 guests per dive guide, free nitrox, unlimited diving, individual work space for cameras. If you travel this far you should go for the better boats and not the mediocre ones and save a few bucks. We have worked and dived the area for more than 3 years => truly awesome for wide AND macro! Other excellent operators you can find on Indonesia liveaboards. Mail us if you would like more info and or help!

Not that I'm particularly wedded to Lembeh, I had just heard they have very good macro there.
- Gus

Saying that they have very good macro in Lembeh could be the understatement of the year! :chuckle:...

Seriously, if you are looking for more variety, a liveaboard doing Lembeh, Bangka, Sangihe islands, Bunaken and the Manado area could be a good option. I haven't tried it but the Wallacea Diving Indonesia with Wallacea Liveaboard : Togian Islands & Banggai - after Manado, Bunaken and Lembeh Straithas a very good reputation.

Saying that they have very good macro in Lembeh could be the understatement of the year! :chuckle:...

Seriously, if you are looking for more variety, a liveaboard doing Lembeh, Bangka, Sangihe islands, Bunaken and the Manado area could be a good option. I haven't tried it but the Wallacea Diving Indonesia with Wallacea Liveaboard : Togian Islands & Banggai - after Manado, Bunaken and Lembeh Straithas a very good reputation.

I second the vote for this operation. We did a trip with them last October, and will dive with Jerome and Alain again. Great trip! I'll answer any PM questions, or look at my trip report here ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/313678-trip-report-bunaken-lembeh-sangihe-part-ii.html

I'll answer any PM questions, or look at my trip report here ...
Thanks, I found that report very helpful. Since I need a certain amount of workspace for my DSLR rig, and would like hot water available, that doesn't sound like the boat for me.

Interesting reading, though.

- Gus

hi all,

we are going to Indnoesia on June 5th and are going to book a liveaboard out of Flores. We have our sights on MV NusaTara. This is a small boat. Has anyone ever been on it, and would you recommend it?

thanks

joel

hi all,

we are going to Indnoesia on June 5th and are going to book a liveaboard out of Flores. We have our sights on MV NusaTara. This is a small boat. Has anyone ever been on it, and would you recommend it?

thanks

joel

Haven't been aboard this particular boat in the Grand Komodo fleet, but one of their other standard grade boats. What I can do is vouch for their operation and crew ... very professional, friendly, lot of experience in Indo waters, decent if not 4-star food.

I second the vote for this operation. We did a trip with them last October, and will dive with Jerome and Alain again. Great trip! I'll answer any PM questions, or look at my trip report here ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/313678-trip-report-bunaken-lembeh-sangihe-part-ii.html

I could not find whether they have Nitrox on the website. If they don't, how did diving on air for 11 days with 4 dives a day work out? Not sure how deep the dive sites are in the area. The Liburan does have Nitrox so that may be an important consideration.

Thanks

Check out mermaid liveaboards. They have two boats which cruise in both komodo and raja ampat. I have been on both boats. Very good boats and crews. I have done komodo three times and still finding new things to photograph.

World wide dive and sail do The North Sulu and Komodo trips and their price is not too bad. It throws in Nitrox for free, and the beer is free too! NICE!
There was a good report on the Indo Siren (the new wwd&s boat) on this forum a few weeks back. The mandarin siren sounds like an absolute treat!

Back
Top Bottom