Komodo "shotgun" dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dm_junkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Going for a trip end of the year. Heard about the strong current called "shotgun" Anyone has the experience and if you have, compared with the Maldivian Channel currents?

Is it fun? Thank you.

It has a dramatic name but it's not particularly onerous.

The first couple of times I dived it we had to fin all the way even though it supposedly had a "medium current"

You drop in onto a sandy bottom approx 10m and hang about - occasional manta and often lots of Jenkins Sting rays on the bottom

Then head in to a channel which might have a bit of a drift - often reef sharks around

Over a fish bowl at 24m then though a narrowing of a channel where the drift may speed up. You then fin across the current and end the dive in a sheltered bay and soft coral garden.

Current can be like those in the Maldives. People comfort levels differ. I don't' find Indo or Maldive currents that bad, but that's because I dive in properly strong currents at home.

The guides will only drop people in if they're happy that everyone will be okay. People's adrenaline often makes it seem much more exciting than it is. Our boat had lots of people with only 50 dives so you'll be okay

Conditions at Shotgun varies considerably. Lunar cycle, tidal cycle, and season of the year are all important. While on a LoB, we go to current rich sites after a few days of diving. I like to learn about my group’s experience in currents, their capabilities, concerns, and their dive preferences. With an experienced group, I personally feel that Shotgun offers the best experience during a moderate to strong current. With such currents, mantas and sharks are much more common. Current in the main channel is usually the strongest, but given the bottom topography, down currents are not an issue. In my experience, the site is hardly worth diving at slack tide.

I've only been on it once and I enjoyed it. There was a spot where the water was whooshing around and it was hard to get out, but the bottom was right there and ... relax, a few well-placed fin strokes and you're out - to a beautiful coral garden!

There might be other currents in Komodo that are more challenging, depending on the moon phase and the tides.

I always suggest that people take a few (or a few dozen) dives in a place like Cozumel, where (AFAIK) the currents can be strong but are more predictable than in Indo, before diving in Indo, where currents can often be a bit unpredictable.

- Bill

have to check my log but remember doing 4 dives there. current ranged from mild to moderately strong. siaba kecil was stronger usually. it is a good dive and you can get a pretty good show near the lip of the bowl depression where you may hook in.

That's informative guys. And I definitely agree that with currents you get to see bigger stuff.

Its a fun dive in and comparison to the channels i dived in the maldives the current is on a par, but sometimes there isn;t much, as Charlier mentioned the lunar cycle does play a major role. When you come up over the rim you're in about 6m water so bear that in mind for your safety stop
If you don;t fancy going over the fish bowl and rim and drifting along there is a narrow fissure on the left hand side, schooling fish hang in that but it does get very shallow quickly, like 4m only but exciting place to find mantas swooping about

If you don;t fancy going over the fish bowl and rim and drifting along there is a narrow fissure on the left hand side, schooling fish hang in that but it does get very shallow quickly, like 4m only but exciting place to find mantas swooping about

The fissue or alcove is located on the left side, just about the cauldron or fish bowl before you enter the channel. I definitely worth checking out. Sometime lots of fish hang out in the alcove and it a nice place to slowly fin to the edge of the cauldron and check out the white tip sharks. On note of caution, avoid going up to high in the alcove (photographers take note)while checking out the trevallies, sweetlips or snappers, the current will sweep you upwards and you will miss Shotgun.

Back
Top Bottom