Kona, hammerheads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point, Steve. I plan on trying to get some deep experience this summer and maybe some experience with current. I often snorkel in surge and current situations and am very comfortable with that, does anyone think that experience is transferable to diving?

George Scherman:
Good point, Steve. I plan on trying to get some deep experience this summer and maybe some experience with current. I often snorkel in surge and current situations and am very comfortable with that, does anyone think that experience is transferable to diving?

I wouldn't say so. Currents greatly magnify the bulkiness of scuba gear; it takes discipline to remain relaxed and drift; getting fixated on a target/object and thus trying to buck a current can lead to frustration, overbreathing, and fatigue which can lead to having a very very bad day. Buoyancy control is also critical, especially in blue water/big walls and currents. Obviously, you don't want to be weighted beyond your BC's ability to compensate, I don't mean just at the surface. Being deep means factoring in suit compression, increased air consumption, colder temps, and of course, the possibility of being narked. In blue water especially, it's surprisingly easy to get disoriented as to up and down; unlimited clarity can be almost as blinding as near-zero viz. Not seeing bottom can be unnerving. Currents can be tricky because they're not always horizontal, especially near walls. Eddies and oblique angles can drive you upward or downward; either suddenly and you blow your cool trying to compensate or slowly and you don't notice until you've blown your deco plan. I hope this sounds scary; not to discourage but to encourage building abilities.

FRISCUBA-I saw the website that you posted-I think I'd really like to show my wife the hammerheads or at least dive my old stomping grounds mentioned in the last few posts-how much would it be to charter your boat for 2 people to to those areas-you can PM me...Aloha...Saildiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom