Kona or California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The grunt to grin ratio is high, but that's what makes the grins so big. As I posted back on October 18th, 2007:

"This had become one of those spectacular central coast days, blue sky, bright sun and 60-foot plus visibility. On a day like this Blue Fin Cove is perhaps the most spectacular dive site in the world. Let the tourists have Palancar Reef, the wall on Cayman Brac, Rosh Muhammad and Heron Island, all that frantic motion and frenetic neon of the underwater Times Squares. Give me kelp, the kelp forests, subtle deep greens broken by shafts of light that look like a Sunday school painting. That's for me."

You had me at the quad with 4 girls, easy decision. Actually you will look back favorably at this for the experience you gained. I suspect a lot of frustration was amplified by being cold. You are a better diver for it whether you realize it or not. Any viz to me is great because a lot of times I am in blackwater search/recovery so we just close our eyes. I must confess as much as I like the Ca coast I do enjoy the warm water experience of diving close to necked as Thal stated. So I will confess leaving next week for Turks & Caicos Beaches for sun/fun. Only get 2 dives a day but the dive widow demands I spend some time with her. Also allows me to off gas with the little funny umbrellas.

"This had become one of those spectacular central coast days, blue sky, bright sun and 60-foot plus visibility.

Sounds lovely. Our visibility was usually 6-8 feet at the bottom, 1-3 at the surface. We didn't see the sun for four days. :)[/QUOTE]

I have to admit that I rather you help out the Kona economy at the moment, but I'd still rather dive the California coast.

Thanks. The kelp got old after the first three entries and exits with the swim step right in the kelp. Getting hung up in the kelp wasn't a big deal but add in current or strong surges and it got old really fast. The kelp was beautiful as long as it wasn't in my way then it was just a pain in the ass. I guess that's part of the price for lobster diving. The grunt to grin ratio was a little too high for my taste though.

It takes getting used to. I don't suppose one trip is enough to become proficient in navigating through kelp. A little while back we did a dive where we dropped on a moderately deep wreck (140') for a half hour and then scootered into a shallow kelp forest nearby, switched to a stage bottle, and did another half hour there before switching to oxygen for final deco. So we were swimming through kelp in poor viz with surge, AND we had doubles on our back, an aluminum 80 and an aluminum 40 hanging off our left side, and a scooter hanging from the right. Then we shot a bag to let the boat know our location. Even then, with some passing around of my spool, we were able to work our way through it.

Just takes time and practice (in particular to ability to remain still is key), but it's worth it.

This video isn't from an exceptionally clear day (probably 20 foot viz), and the kelp isn't as dramatic off shore as it is in some places in channel islands national park, but still I think it's pretty beautiful (particularly the grassy areas towards the end).

Last edited:
I can't imagine doing a live aboard in Kona. why? The shore diving is good and the day trips are 40 yards off the beach, a short swim from shore. I would do a combination of some shore dives, day trips, the night manta Ray dive and stay in a condo from a "buy owner" website. Jack's Dive Locker has some great day trips and does the manta trip. Shoredives.com is a great resource and there are plenty of good shore dives, one that I would recommend is "Two Step" where you just giant stride into the water.
But, I would probably go for the Channel Islands option as the last time I went to Kona I was disappointed with the diving.

Here is the shore diving link for the Big Island.

It is missing one of my favorites: South Point.

Back
Top Bottom