Kona or California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well hopefully the lobsters are not spooked.

It is something to see them walking in line across the open areas at night.

For me this is a no-brainer. I would go to Kona in a heartbeat. Warm water diving with lots of stuff to see (don't miss the Manta Ray Night Dive.) Also, California dive boats are, at best, day boats with bunks. I like the Peace out of Ventura and the Santa Barbara based boats with Truth Aquatics, but they are definitely not luxury live-aboards.

I've dived both California and Kona....personally, unless I had some other reason to be in Hawaii, I would not choose to go back for diving. The life is far more abundant in California, but you do need to be prepared for colder water.

The mantas in Kona were very cool, but I could have really used some kelp and CA marine life :D

Here a two videos - SoCal and Kona. Since I dive SoCal often, I just love visiting warm water locations and Hawaii is my favorite plus I never have to change planes. :wink:

Each has its own magical and mysterious features.

Some posters may not have noticed that Kona is not available...?

The water at Kona certainly isn't California cold but its not Bonaire warm either.

Should probably plan on a 5 mil suit there.
I dive Kona in a tee and trunks all year round. A thin suit, say 3mil is about all you'll ever need here ... but you will not overheat in a 5mil.
I realize the OP no longer has an issue, but I just had to address this, because I totally disagree. Having dived both, I would leap at the chance to dive the Channel Islands again, but I would only go back to Kona if I had a reason other than diving to be there. To me, the diving in the Hawaiian Islands just hasn't been that big a thrill. Other than the fact that it's warm and the water is generally clear, there hasn't been that much that has grabbed me.
I have to agree with Lynne, except for the Mantas, the Spinner Dolphins, the Humpbacks, the Marlin, and the Tiger Shark.:D

But that's all snorkeling, not scuba.
On the other hand, the Channel Islands are so packed with life and beauty that it's stunning. Floating through kelp forests with the sunlight slanting down, like sun rays through redwoods, except the "birds" are schools of blacksmiths and kelpfish. Rock walls covered in strawberry anemones and coralline algae, in vivid colors, and dotted with sponges and nudibranchs. Warmer sites full of pugnacious Garibaldis and schools of rockfish, and the occasional capering sea lion. I've done two three-day liveaboards there, and several single days of diving, and I have yet to tire of Southern California.
California diving is, to me, the most beautiful in the world. As I said in an earlier post (with reference to Lobos, but the Channel Islands can be close): "This had become one of those spectacular central coast days, blue sky, bright sun and 60-foot plus visibility. On a day like this Blue Fin Cove is perhaps the most spectacular dive site in the world. Let the tourists have Palancar Reef, the wall on Cayman Brac, Rosh Muhammad and Heron Island, all that frantic motion and frenetic neon of the underwater Times Squares. Give me kelp, the kelp forests, subtle deep greens broken by shafts of light that look like a Sunday school painting. That's for me."
I do think the comments about not being accustomed to cold water diving are apropos, though. For me, the Channel Islands are dry suit country -- we had water in the mid 40's off San Miguel, and in the mid 50's everywhere else, and that was in June. We had two wetsuit divers on the last trip, and they had fun, but they had 25 minute dives, where most of the rest of us were enjoying an hour or more.
Dry suit would help, the least I'd use is a 7mil farmer john plus jacket (step in preferred).
... plan on 7mm wetsuit, hooded vest, gloves, and thick booties. In fact, I usually take 2 pairs so I can let one pair dry out on alternate days. ...
One pair of boots are fine, no need to dry them out, pour some warm water into them in the morning before you put them on and everything is wonderful.

Probably not enough time between now and 10/12 to find a dry suit that fits and get certified though. Not without paying $$$ for individual instruction.
I've rarely know drysuit courses to be anything but individual, many places throw them in for free to sweeten the deal.
Some posters may not have noticed that Kona is not available...?
There are alternatives to a liveaboard, especially in Kona. Stay at a nice hotel or a good B&B and dive with a local boat operator.

That said, I love the Channel Islands, but the diving there can be somewhat more challenging for a beginner.

Water temp wise, mid-October may be the warmest time of the year in Kona. Should be 80 - 82 degree water in Kona. That's no more than 3mm for most, a shortie for some.

Personally, I wouldn't choose a live-aboard on Kona (expensive and most dives are in locations accessible by local dive boats.) Finding a hotel or condo this time of the year at a good off-season rate and diving with an outfit like Jack's Dive Locker would definitely be my personal choice. If you do this, be sure to stay somewhere in Kailua-Kona and not up the coast. The traffic can be nuts coming south to KK.

The post about beach diving in Kona being a low cost alternaive made a good point. Kona does have good beach divng which can be done for a cost of a tank rental (ok I guess you do have to add in airfare and hotels). Shore diving.com has a list of beach diving sites. I thought Puako(sp?), Two Step, and the old airport were really nice. There is a scuba shop adjacent to the Home Depot which is half way between the airport and Kailua-Kona where you can rent tanks and weights. A potential downside is there typically is some sharp lava to make your way through on the way to the water. Shore diving in Kona is for the sure footed.

A few things you may like to know. Wet wetsuits are welcome in the galley, not in the bunkroom.
Bring a hanger for your wetsuit, there is a drying room below deck behind the engine room. If you rinse your suit & hang it inside out every evening, it will be dry and toasty warm each morning.

Re-read Thal's post about warm water for your gloves & boots & you will be good to go.

I use a dive light on every dive in the kelp forest.
Try not to gain too much weight, they feed you very well.
Have fun, it is great diving.

Back
Top Bottom