Kona or California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heck, I pour warm water in my boots, in my gloves and down my wetsuit ... makes life much nicer.

Agreed. Warm water rocks, and you can get it out of the hot showers on deck on the Conception.

I dive with a young lady that gets very cold & I tuck a chem heat pack at her lower back and pop the the disc and zip her up. She does well for the dive.

I repeat the process for the next dive.

I took the dry suit course and have rented dry suits for two dive days thus far. I did two boat dives in Monterey in 53 F water and I was shivering in between and very cold on the second dive (using a 7 mm wetsuit with hood and gloves). With a dry suit I did all 4 dives on a day-long trip in Lake Michigan in 43-54 F water (temperature varies with depth). Renting a dry suit for $75/day is a good option for trying it out, and deciding what suit type you like (I rented DUI one time, and Whites another) if you ever do dry suits enough to justify a purchase.

Go to Kona as it is also Triathlon mekka. I guess also freediving is popular there. I'd like to know more about the most aero (water)dynamic suit availablei in the market, for training and competitions.

Simple question, difficult to answer.

I have the opportunity to do a live aboard mid-October to either the upper Channel Islands in California or Kona, Hawaii. The latter would cost roughly $1,000 more in total expenses than the former. The diving on California trip would be from 10/13 to 10/16 aboard the Conception operated by Truth Aquatics. Diving on the Kona trip would be from 10/10 to 10/15 aboard the Agressor 2 operated by Agressor.

Is Kona in October worth $1000 more?

Another thing to consider. I was planning on getting my nitrox certification before leaving. The Agressor has unlimited nitrox fills for $100 more. Truth Aquatics does not offer nitrox onboard, I asked. If I go California I actually save another $345, $245 certification + $100 nitrox fills.

Is Kona in October worth $1345 more than California in October?

I am a pretty new diver with less than 24 dives under my belt, all in warm water.

I would go the opposite of what others are saying here. They say that if you can dive in California, you can dive anywhere. Yes California is cold water. But it's still a good experience. Secondly, it's much cheaper. Especially when you've got travel costs involved (air flights, hotels beforehand, etc.).

Also, from what I understand, this time of year is perfect for the Channel Islands.

Just my $.02.

Well I'm back. Interesting trip.

Short version:
I should have gone to Kona.

Long version:
I learned a great deal about what kind of diver I am and what kind of diving I prefer. Adjusting to the cold water took a couple of dives but wasn't a major factor. The strong surge, current everywhere, focus on hunting (lobster season), kelp everywhere especially on entry and exit (every damn dive), and low visibility (often less than 6 feet) sucked most of the pleasure out of most dives. I also had my first near OOA experience, my fault, which took me half a day to overcome.

The two most important lessons I re-learned are:
1. I am sightseer not a hunter.
2. I need an agreed upon plan before I jump into a potentially life threatening adventure.

These are two rules I have always followed in every other dangerous activity I have engaged in, from caving to hiking to mountaineering. When I did follow these rules I had great dives. When I didn't follow the rules my dives were either unpleasant or life threatening.

On another note, Truth Aquatics is an excellent outfit. I really enjoyed my time aboard ship. The crew was pleasant and professional, the accommodations were just fine, and the food was tasty as well as plentiful. The other divers aboard ship were also great.

kelp everywhere especially on entry and exit (every damn dive)

wait, that's a complaint?
:confused:

The kelp makes socal diving (wrecks aside). I dive here year round, I'm not a hunter, and kelp never gets old.

2. I need an agreed upon plan before I jump into a potentially life threatening adventure.

Good lesson. Glad you made it though.

Kelp is why I dive there, that's what I dive to see. The longest and fasted growing plant on earth that makes possible the most diverse ecosystem on earth. Please ... bring the kelp on!

wait, that's a complaint?
:confused:

The kelp makes socal diving (wrecks aside). I dive here year round, I'm not a hunter, and kelp never gets old.

Good lesson. Glad you made it though.
Thanks. The kelp got old after the first three entries and exits with the swim step right in the kelp. Getting hung up in the kelp wasn't a big deal but add in current or strong surges and it got old really fast. The kelp was beautiful as long as it wasn't in my way then it was just a pain in the ass. I guess that's part of the price for lobster diving. The grunt to grin ratio was a little too high for my taste though.

It's tough when the current and surge plus low vis change the dive plan. But like most local's all that means is we bring out the bigger lights, focus on the little stuff and go a little deeper. But alas, I'd have chosen Kona as well but then again, I dive here all the time. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom