Kona Travel/Dive Guide for Thanksgiving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divertimmy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are headed to the Kona Coast of Hawaii for thanksgiving and bringing along two friends of ours. We are flying in on Wednesday at noon and don't leave until Monday morning. We are staying at the Castle Kona Bali Kai Condos. I thought I'd get thoughts from everyone on some "don't miss this" experiences that we should look into.

At the moment we have the obvious night Manta Dive on our list, and are looking at possibly adding a Black Water dive as well. We can't spend a fortune in boat dives, but don't want to miss something we really should see, so we'll also do some shore diving.

Essentially, if you could only make one trip, what would you do, where would you eat, what would you go see and (most importantly) where would you dive?

Thanks for any input! We'll report on the trip after as well!

For diving, three room cave is the one spot other than the night manta dive that really stands out. There's other great diving, but those are my two favorites. Huggo's is pretty good food, especially their macadamia nut mud pie. The kona village inn restaurant has a nice sunset view and fairly decent food. I always enjoy a walk through the place of refuge and there's some great snorkeling just on the north side of the park. Big Island Eco Adventures is an incredible zip line experience to the north, but book early because they're always full. Makalawena (I may be misspelling) is a beautiful beach, but requires a decent hike to get to. That's a pretty good start :)

Thanks Nick! That's the 2nd time I've heard Huggo's, so that sounds like a great spot for Thanksgiving. :) Three Room Cave looks like its worth a boat trip. I'll see if there's an operator that will take us there specifically. Thanks very much for your input!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom