Konaquatica Faulty Equipment - not a dive experience for Beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamilgoddess sorry you had such a bad dive. It happens.

If you really want to get back in the water read through your openwater manual. Would also recommend a scuba refresher class. Sit down with the instructor and go over any concerns and practice skills on land (ones that you can), then in a pool, and then in open water. If you are unsure or not confident in your skills ask to do it again until you are.
Get familiar with the equipment you will be using before getting in the water and before heading out for the dive.
Take baby steps if you need to before getting back in the water. Try snorkeling first before going out to dive. You can also take more certification courses. The more you know the more confident you will be in the water.

Smaller boat and the water was choppy that day.
I assume you knew about the boat size when you booked the trip.

Jim Holt, owner, must not have a lot of trips booked because he "borrowed" a friend to drive the boat.
Perhaps the friend is a qualified, professional boat captain in which case no problem.

Jim suggested staying below.
While this was probably not the best idea, it is always up to you, the diver, to decide that you need to come up. Never be afraid to just indicate that yes, indeed, you need to go up right now. It is also worth deciding before the dive what psi you will be be starting your ascent with.

We came up and were at 15 feet (decompression stop). My equipment showed 300 psi but there was no air. I sucked and sucked but NO AIR. Imagine a beginner down under with no air!
Yes, I can imagine how scary that must have been for you.

Jim kindly gave offered me his spare octopus but I panicked and figured I could breathe out slowly and come upto shore instead.
You should have taken the octo. And you should DEFINITELY have orally inflated your jacket on the surface. Please practice this. It could save your life.

Konaquatica Equipment is not calibrated correctly.

I wouldn't go this far. It makes it sound like all of their gear is junk...which I highly doubt. SPGs DO vary slightly and sometimes need adjustment. It happens. I'm not trying to justify everything that went wrong in this situation. But your broad statement makes it sound like all of this company's equipment is faulty.

The issues I had with this dive shop is (1) he knew I was a nervous novice and should have agreed to surface when I asked and showed him I was at 500 psi;

Agreed

(2) when we reached the surface and I was panicked - he kept talking instead of trying to blow air into my suit to make sure that I could float (which my husband did as soon as he came up a few minutes later and realized that I was dog paddling madly to stay afloat);

Yes, he should have inflated you in this case. But you MUST be able to do this YOURSELF to save your OWN butt.

(3) some offer should have been made to take me back the next day perhaps at a reduced price.
not necessarily

I understand how this situation would upset you and scare you. My main points are to make your own decisions underwater when it comes to surfacing with an appropriate amount of air. Secondly, you need to be comfortable with alternate air source use and orally inflating your BC. It's really important.

Keep diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom