Konichiwa From Okinawa, Japan!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texan81

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello!

Just moved to Okinawa, Japan with my hubby to be stationed here for @ least 3 years. My husband and I are both OW certified, but I want to take it further. My goal is to get @ least Divemaster cert. by the time we leave the island. Im super excited to to continue on this passionate journey of mine, and also excited to join a place where i get to learn and talk to people who share that passion:)

When I was in the AF I got orders to Okinawa, Japan and went right out and got myself certified OW. I was an AF aircraft mechanic at Kadena. The diving there was fantastic and I would dive 2-3 times a week. My dive buddy was a foreword recon Marine, so we trekked everywhere there was an entry spot and some that shouldn't have been. But the easiest was to just take one of the many Japanese boats - one of which was an old US landing craft.

Those were the days:D

And welcome to the board, and the Rock.

Welcome to Okinawa. If you haven't already been oriented, there are numerous dive facilities both on and off-base. Currently Torii Station's scuba locker is down for renovations, but the others are still up and running, providing both air and nitrox fills.

For training, all of the base shops run PADI courses on a weekly basis 52 weeks a year from OW all the way through the Instructor rating. For NAUI training, Doug Bennett has his shop off-base near the Sunabe Seawall (his name here on ScubaBoard is "japan-diver"), and I believe Mr. Kondo offers IANTD and CCR training off-base as well. As for myself, I am a GUE Instructor intern and can talk with about or setup those classes if you are interested. But regardless of training, there's plenty of diving to be done. If you let me know when you go out, I'd be happy to meet with you for some fun dives on the weekends or recommend other divers who can meet with you as well.

wow! thanks for all the info! last weekend my husband and i got refreshed and went on our first dive in a long time. it was amazing!! we are pretty muched hooked. i will probably be doing a lot more diving and if you know of any female divers that would be available during the week that would be ideal as i currently dont work. Even though we just got refreshed there is still tons of things i need to learn, I only have 5 dives of experience.

thanks again for the info!

Back
Top Bottom