Kudos! Blue Angel Dive Resort & Dive Shop - We will return!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I would ever pass up a chance on the boat dives. The shore diving is fun, but does not compare to the offshore reefs.
If you wanted to sleep in, try an afternoon or mid-morning boat dive. I think there are some that go out around 1100.

I don't think I would ever pass up a chance on the boat dives. The shore diving is fun, but does not compare to the offshore reefs.
If you wanted to sleep in, try an afternoon or mid-morning boat dive. I think there are some that go out around 1100.

I just hate the thought of being on my honeymoon and waking up every day earlier than I do for work LOL

Silvernotch--please post back on your Isla Mujeres whale shark trip. We'll probably be there a couple weeks after you and are considering taking a whale shark day. We've been to Isla Mujeres (did a little mediocre diving), but not for the whale sharks, and we've snorkeled with whale sharks, but not on IM (went to Holbox for a few days. As an island, I liked it much more than IM, but IM is easier to get to). Are you figuring it out on your own, or is someone going to arrange the logistics?

Blue Angel does indeed have later boats if you want to sleep in. I think that the 11 am one tends to be a larger combo dive/snorkel boat that may get a lot of cruise and mainland day trippers. If you're feeling really easygoing, it might be fine, and fun, but I'd personally pick the afternoon boat over that.

Re waking up early if your from NJ you get a 1 hour time shift working for you (me too) so it's 8:00 AM at home (what your body is accustomed too) BUT 7:00 AM in Coz unless you get caught in the bubble between wheen we set our clocks forward or back for Daylight Saving Time because they still use the old dates.

I just hate the thought of being on my honeymoon and waking up every day earlier than I do for work LOL
Diving can be brutal that way, but conditions are usually best in the early morning in my experience.

If you want shore diving on your own schedule, you'd be better served by Bonaire IMO.

Re waking up early if your from NJ you get a 1 hour time shift working for you (me too) so it's 8:00 AM at home (what your body is accustomed too) BUT 7:00 AM in Coz unless you get caught in the bubble between wheen we set our clocks forward or back for Daylight Saving Time because they still use the old dates.

ahhh never thought about the time change

Diving can be brutal that way, but conditions are usually best in the early morning in my experience.

If you want shore diving on your own schedule, you'd be better served by Bonaire IMO.

I'm not saying I prefer shore diving, I'm just wondering if it's worth missing a day out on the reefs to be lazy around the shallows outside BA a day or two.

Hi there,

Blue Angel offers a regularly scheduled 8 a.m. trip as well as 1 p.m., every day. There is also a boat that goes at 11 a.m. that is a dive/snorkel combo boat. Lots of people do prefer the 8 a.m. trip, but I sometimes wonder if that's habit as much as anything. The light on the wall changes pretty dramatically for the afternoon dives, and for me, a late afternoon trip to Chankanaab is one of my favourite things; soooo much fishy sex going on that is amazing to watch. (Does that make me a voyeur??) Behaviours of many fish/critters is different a.m. vs p.m., so it's something to consider!

Regularly scheduled night dives are 1 tank on Tuesday and Thursday.

Shore diving is always available; as others have mentioned, if you want to shore dive outside of hours when the dive shop is open, let the shop know and they can provide weights. Many people choose to dive in the morning, lunch, then shore dive in the afternoon - best of both worlds. :) The shore dive is less "exciting" than the reef, but there is lots to see, particularly if you're patient! There are many different types of juvenile fish, tons of different shrimps, crabs and eels, and loads and loads of tiny things in the bottom. My current preference is to head out a bit farther from shore into about 25 feet into the turtle grass and see what's going on out there. Occasionally we are rewarded with an eagle ray right there, as there are plenty of conchs for them to eat.

To the OP, I'm glad the members of your party who did the refresher found it helpful! We've worked hard at the Scuba School to provide opportunities for divers of all levels to improve their skills and increase their overall comfort in the water. The turtle population doesn't vary much by time of year, but there are sites (like Cedral) where they seem to be more commonly seen. It's always a treat to see a "different turtle" - most of our are hawksbills - and Cedral traditionally is a good place to see a green turtle or sometimes a loggerhead.

I hope that helps. :)

kari

Last edited:
Hi there,

Blue Angel offers a regularly scheduled 8 a.m. trip as well as 1 p.m., every day. There is also a boat that goes at 11 a.m. that is a dive/snorkel combo boat. Lots of people do prefer the 8 a.m. trip, but I sometimes wonder if that's habit as much as anything. The light on the wall changes pretty dramatically for the afternoon dives, and for me, a late afternoon trip to Chankanaab is one of my favourite things; soooo much fishy sex going on that is amazing to watch. (Does that make me a voyeur??) Behaviours of many fish/critters is different a.m. vs p.m., so it's something to consider!

Regularly scheduled night dives are 1 tank on Tuesday and Thursday.

Shore diving is always available; as others have mentioned, if you want to shore dive outside of hours when the dive shop is open, let the shop know and they can provide weights. Many people choose to dive in the morning, lunch, then shore dive in the afternoon - best of both worlds. :) The shore dive is less "exciting" than the reef, but there is lots to see, particularly if you're patient! There are many different types of juvenile fish, tons of different shrimps, crabs and eels, and loads and loads of tiny things in the bottom. My current preference is to head out a bit farther from shore into about 25 feet into the turtle grass and see what's going on out there. Occasionally we are rewarded with an eagle ray right there, as there are plenty of conchs for them to eat.

To the OP, I'm glad the members of your party who did the refresher found it helpful! We've worked hard at the Scuba School to provide opportunities for divers of all levels to improve their skills and increase their overall comfort in the water. The turtle population doesn't vary much by time of year, but there are sites (like Cedral) where they seem to be more commonly seen. It's always a treat to see a "different turtle" - most of our are hawksbills - and Cedral traditionally is a good place to see a green turtle or sometimes a loggerhead.

I hope that helps. :)

kari

Thanks for all the info Kari! Can't wait to see you guys in a few months. I think we need to get out of the habit of eating lunch and sleeping for 4 hours so we can do some afternoon shore dives LOL. After two morning dives, as soon as I get some food in my system I'm ready to pass out in my plate haha. Or maybe it's that cocktail I tend to have at lunch that's the problem :loopy:

"I'm not saying I prefer shore diving, I'm just wondering if it's worth missing a day out on the reefs to be lazy around the shallows outside BA a day or two."

No. You can sleep in on the weekends when you go home. Might as well start planning your 1st anniversary trip back now :wink:

Back
Top Bottom