Kudos for Diver's Cove (great service)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

although now that I think of it, maybe the 15+ ft vis I'm remembering was from our ugly ss where I oscillated between 10-20 ft. Kept thinking "wow I can see the bottom, (glance at computer)....damn I suck at buoyancy today":lotsalove:

although now that I think of it, maybe the 15+ ft vis I'm remembering was from our ugly ss where I oscillated between 10-20 ft. Kept thinking "wow I can see the bottom, (glance at computer)....damn I suck at buoyancy today":lotsalove:

Yeah it wasn't pretty. Good practice though. If you can do a stop like that with no line or visual frame of reference then you're all set.

So when are you coming back?

Today we did the goat path wall. You remember the site where due to a slight oversight you ended up having to do the surface swim twice.... :D

Come to think of it, that was also the same day we got to watch Chris get fired out of the "crevice" like a cannonball by the surge. That was a very interesting day of diving.

That was one hell of a day.

I was tired, you were cold, and Chris was dazed.

Not sure when i'll be back, but you'll be the first to know. I miss the local dive sites!

what is a sane temperature to dive with a 7 mm? I just started diving last summer so I'm not sure when to jump on in. Keep in mind, I want to be able to walk back out of the water.

Depends on many factors, right?

Personal cold tolerance?

How long a dive?

How much body mass?

How active during the dive?

Cost of logistics to do the cold dive?

"Sane" temperature meaning your extremities still function and you don't have shaking chills?

Try experimenting with 45F in your 7mm farmer john with the expectation of doing a short dive, like 30 minutes.

That's my wild guess....

It would be 55F for me for a short, miserable dive, so I no longer dive wet.... :D

But I'm a wimp.... :)

(End of hijack)

Dave C

well put it this way, we were down for about an hour, all in drysuits, and when I surfaced I was still pretty cold because I didn't layer enough with undergarments. When diving with my 7mm farmer I usually wait until the water is in the 60's or above, and am still a little cold after an hour (I don't like doing short shore dives). Like Dave said above it kinda depends on many personal factors, and for me especially it's the logistics of getting to and from a dive site. Ft Wetherell is about 1 1/2 hrs for me so if I go I like to do at least 1 long dive, but preferrably 2 long dives. If you can get in the water close by I agree with jumping in and see how long you can comfortably last.

I agree with everything Dave said. No one can tell you what your cold tolerance is. You are going to have to try it and find out. Start conservatively with short shallow dives and go from there depending on how you feel.

Just don't be afraid to abort the dive if you get too cold, and try not to wait until you are shivering because by then you are entering the early stages of hypothermia.

Ft Wetherell is about 1 1/2 hrs for me so if I go I like to do at least 1 long dive, but preferrably 2 long dives.

Hopefully we'll get 2 in next time. However, doing 1 was definitely the right call, my neck is an absolute mess from that neck seal chafing issue. I have a ring shaped scab around most of the circumference of my neck. I look like Clint Eastwood's character from "Hang'em High".

I definitely need to do a little work on that seal.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom